Chemistry Instructor, Haskell Indian Nations University
This position is part of the Haskell Indian Nations University, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Instructor (Chemistry) you will be responsible providing college level instruction in the field of Chemistry to meet the education goals and objectives of HINU.
Open & closing dates: 06/21/2022 to 07/05/2022
Salary: $67,052 - $87,163 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Location: Lawrence, KS
Remote job: No
Telework eligible: No
Travel Required: Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed: Yes—You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Appointment type: Multiple Appointment Types
Work schedule: Full-time
As a Instructor (Chemistry)GS-1701-11, your typical work assignments may include the following:
- Demonstrates instructional skills that include the ability to explain difficult concepts and the ability to engage students of different abilities and backgrounds in learning course objectives.
- Possesses interpersonal skills when interacting with students in class, in the laboratory, office hours, and elsewhere on campus, and with other faculty members, and with college and university administration.
- Stays current with developments and trends in instructional and pedagogical fields.
- Participates in student retention efforts.
- Develops, implements, and maintains records for instruction, including syllabi consistent with course objectives, student proficiency and attendance records, and other materials consistent with course objectives and University policies.
- Develops criteria for testing, assignments, and other instruments to evaluate student proficiency.
- Possesses technical writing skills for university-level documents such as reports prepared for the College or University.
Conditions of Employment
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YEAR TRIAL OR 1 YEAR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- VALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIRED
- RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT
- RELOCATION INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT
- SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR MALES BORN AFTER 12/31/1959
NOTE: POSITION IS ALSO BEING ADVERTISED UNDER COMPETITIVE ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER BIE-11542668-22-ADS MP. STATUS APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH MERIT PROMOTION AND COMPETITIVE PROCEDURES MUST SUBMIT A SEPARATE APPLICATION FOR EACH ANNOUNCEMENT.
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards. For this position, they are listed below.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTRUCTORS, GS-1701-11:
Master's Degree that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position (typically a degree in the field of (Chemistry);
A master's degree with 18 graduate semester hours in the field of Chemistry.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirement, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications requirements below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
GS-11: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service that includes: serving as an Instructor in a college or equivalent education institution developing, researching, preparing and administering course syllabi and materials, labs and activities; delivering lectures and presentation; and evaluating students' progress on standards based courses in Education; collaborated with faculty on maintaining accreditation requirements; developed culturally relevant material; served on or chaired numerous committees which dealt with issues such as curriculum (all subject areas), goals and objectives, standardized testing, staff selection, policy and negotiations.
Applicant meets the basic education requirement and possess 3 years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in the field of Chemistry.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
EDUCATION: Transcripts MUST be uploaded and electronically linked from USAJOBS at the time you apply and MUST include identifying information to include School Name, Student Name, credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking, degree and date awarded. All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package at: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/661108400 which includes:
1. Your resume (must be current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (Please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone number)
- Must be employer references for the last years of employment.
- DD-214 (member copy 4), SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans claiming preference
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)?
- College transcript(s): Copy of undergraduate education transcripts. Unofficial college transcripts are acceptable but official college transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (Required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Indian Children Protection Requirements: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
- Cover Letter, optional
FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. The majority of individuals, who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submission of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.