Community Development Specialist
Community Development Specialist
STARTING SALARY $40,000-$50,000 commensurate with relevant government experience and qualifications. The City offers health & vision insurance, robust time off and paid Holidays, a pension plan among other benefits.
The City of Pittston is seeking a Full-Time Community Development Specialist to provide services to the Office of Community Development, the Redevelopment Authority and the entities for which it is responsible.
Job Duties and Responsibilities Include:
1. Responsible for the day-to-day management of the City’s Blight Board, the North East Pennsylvania Land Bank and the Neighborhood Action Team under the close direction of the Executive Director.
2. Work with the Grant & Program Coordinator on the Blight Acquisition Program.
3. Assist in the management of Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) projects.
4. Plan and program traditional community development initiatives, such as Community Cookouts.
5. Under the direction of the Executive Director, manage all properties, including but not limited to, communicating with tenants, enforcing and writing leases, collecting rents, handle utilities, addressing “problems” reported for the properties.
6. Assist with grant research and preparation as assigned.
7. Assist in the development of all aspects of existing, proposed and conceptual projects in order to facilitate their completion.
8. Assist in financially packaging projects, inclusive of, but not limited to, grant funding, private financing, investors, partnering with developers, and foundation and private grant funding.
9. Manage and/or oversee projects as directed.
10. Maintain the websites and social media accounts of the Authorities.
11. Attend Board & Council Meetings and facilitate when required.
12. Facilitate public-private partnerships.
13. Attend Construction and Project Meetings.
14. Provide general assistance to the Executive Director and other staff.
15. All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Political Science, Planning, or closely related field required. Professional experience in Local Government, Economic Development programs and/or Project Development and related activities strongly desired.
Must be a self-starter requiring little direction to accomplish tasks with a high level of optimism, enthusiasm, and "can-do" attitude. Ability to plan, develop and coordinate economic development programs & projects; ability to prepare technical reports and materials; ability to make oral presentations; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, officials, businesses and the general public; ability to maintain records and prepare reports. Must be able to work well in an environment with multiple interruptions.
Standard work hours are a minimum of Monday through Friday 9AM to 4PM, with additional time expected and required. Applicant must be available for occasional evenings and to attend trainings and seminars out of town and overnight.
The City of Pittston has a direct relationship with the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Pittston and work hand-in-hand to accomplish the mission to revitalize the City and continue to be at the forefront of cutting-edge, out of the box thinking. The Redevelopment Authority has several non-profits and an economic development corporation that they utilize dependent upon the project.