Automation Controls Engineer
The Automation Controls Engineer will be responsible for developing and applying controls systems for operation of chemical reactor systems. These systems are generally based around fiber film microchannel reactors. This role will be part of the Engineering division, a creative and motivated team supporting the fundamental research and development of fiber reactor products and their implementation in the field at client sites. The Automation Controls Engineer will be responsible for the development, optimization, validation and troubleshooting of automated controls systems the chemical reactor systems. A substantial part of the duties includes developing small-scale automation for laboratory and pilot development systems. These systems are highly variable and need modest customization for each different application. Many applications involve immiscible liquids with different polarity and density. Developing robust sensing and control systems around these immiscible liquids is a must.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: may include any or all the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interpret mechanical design drawings for electrical requirements (e.g. P&IDs, SolidWorks, AutoCAD)
- Research supplier products for assembly components
- Help establish new and maintain existing standards
- Assist in developing power requirements for customer specific projects
- Assist in developing electrical bill of materials
- Assist in powering up electrical systems and configure hardware per application specifications
- Check quality of assemblers/technicians work and assist during assembly
- Familiar with software to develop electrical/PLC design, schematics, and drawings (e.g. P&IDs, SolidWorks, AutoCAD)
- Understand client requirements for HMI/communication interface, networking and create specifications based on these requirements
- Troubleshoot issues with existing company installed systems
- Write user manuals to communicate functionality of company developed programs
- Software Documentation and good technical writing skills
- Requirement Reviews – Participate in reviews and work with Engineering to ensure proper implementation of features
- Comply with the company safety procedures. Live the company culture of integrity, teamwork, self-discipline, and professional competence
- Provide timely and detailed status updates, as required
- Quality – Ensure standards are maintained in a process driven environment
- Able/willing to travel and work at customer sites including international travel
- Available/willing to work extended hours to meet project commitments, as required
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience
- Some college with 5+ years of experience in the automation industry, or 4-year degree in engineering or related discipline (BSEE degree preferred)
- Familiar with Design/Drafting Tools as in AutoCAD and/or SolidWorks
- Programming Logic Controllers (PLC) (e.g. Allen-Bradley, Siemens)
- Configuring and designing HMI systems (e.g. Allen-Bradley, Siemens)
- Familiar with Industry Standards (e.g. UL)
- Familiar with various Motion Controllers/Actuators
- Electrical/Electronic troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Familiarity with Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA)
Skills, Abilities & Qualifications
- MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and general computer literacy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter, team player, works well with others and has a positive attitude
- Creative thinker, results oriented, focused, and attentive to detail
- Able to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Sharp, quick, dedicated, and innovative problem solver
- Compatible core values and a drive for continuous self-improvement
- Organized, detail oriented, and able to think designs through completely
Occasional travel, including international travel, is required. This travel will mainly be to customer sites to facilitate installation and troubleshoot any field problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, hear, talk, reach, handle or feel; lifting of up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Typical indoor laboratory and office environment.