Assistant Landscape Architect
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources is to protect, restore, expand, and manage New York City’s natural areas and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits to both ecological function and quality of life.
· Under supervision, perform landscape architectural work of moderate difficulty and responsibility for the Forestry, Horticulture & Natural Resources Capital Design & Construction Team.
· Work with staff scientists to determine design solutions which maximize ecological function and or reduce ecological impacts.
· Conduct site investigations to evaluate drainage area, flow, soil permeability, groundwater, and other site conditions to determine feasibility of stormwater green infrastructure designs.
· Using Adobe Suite and other software, prepare suitable graphics and presentations to communicate design intent.
· Using AutoCAD and other software, prepare and/or manage the preparation of contract drawings.
· Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for the proposed work.
· Obtain all internal and external approvals for proposed designs.
·Review sites and designs with other members of team as well as construction and maintenance personnel.
· Monitor construction operations for compliance with contract specifications and documents; review and resolve design conflicts during construction. Assess and monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving requests for Information, submittals, and shop drawings. Conduct site inspections for quality assurance.
· Assist landscape architects and project managers with the above tasks.
1. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. A valid New York Registration as a Landscape Architect.
Note: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
Note: A motor vehicle driver license valid in New York State may be required for certain assignments. If required, this license must be maintained for the duration of the assignment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Proven design ability in landscape architectural work.
2. Experience with interdisciplinary coordination during design (Architecture, Engineering, Planning, Environmental Permitting)
3. Knowledge of any/all of the following specialized disciplines: ecological restoration, green infrastructure, sustainable design, urban forestry.
4. Computer literacy, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Adobe CS4, CAD and GIS.
5. A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
6. Driver license valid in New York State.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
How to Apply
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 535796.
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request.