Requisition ID 2022-5794
Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,800 employees of Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true innovation. For more information about Draper, visit www.draper.com.
Our work is very important to us, but so is our life outside of work. Draper supports many programs to improve work-life balance including workplace flexibility, employee clubs ranging from photography to yoga, health and finance workshops, off site social events and discounts to local museums and cultural activities. If this specific job opportunity and the chance to work at a nationally renowned R&D innovation company appeals to you, apply now www.draper.com/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Draper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a high-performance culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Draper is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Draper is seeking an EHS Specialist to support an engineering oriented Research & Development (R&D) organization. As a nonprofit engineering innovation company, Draper consists of over 250 labs and shops including electronics, biological, and semiconductor fabrication labs. The primary responsibility of this role will be maintaining all hazardous materials inventories, managing the approvals of all requisitions for purchase of hazardous materials or equipment, and maintaining the Safety Data Sheets database. The secondary responsibility for this role is assisting in various entry level type EHS activities. (Hazardous waste collections, EHS supply distribution, emergency planning, EHS audits activities, etc.). Candidate must be well organized and able to work independently with minimal supervision, and possess a strong ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Communication (both verbal and written), decision-making ability and attention to detail are equally important. Along with all EHS personnel, the candidate must provide quality and timely customer service for EHS issues. The candidate chosen for this position must excel at problem solving abilities and desire to be part of a collaborative, inclusive, and growing EHS team.
- Ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast paced environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient
- Manage EHS approval for purchase requisitions of hazardous materials
- Manage and maintain Draper’s chemical inventory using the PeopleSoft database system and Microsoft Excel
- Manage and maintain Draper’s SDS database
- Assist the Manager of Draper’s workers’ compensation program with day to day activities
- Track and maintain accidents/incidents and related reports
- Assist in the creation of the OSHA 300 and 300A forms
- Take, prepare, and distribute meeting minutes for Biosafety, Radiation, and Safety Committee meetings
- Assist Senior EHS Specialists with the EHS audit program
- Update the EHS website as needed in conjunction with the SharePoint team
- Assist in hazardous waste collections
- Assist with fire testing & inspection program
- Participate in other entry level EHS or administrative activities at the discretion of management
- Must maintains a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- A minimum of a BS or BA in EHS, Science, Engineering or related field (Other academic fields will be taken under consideration)
- Three to five years of professional experience with general records management, workers’ compensation, OSHA logs, chemical inventory management, and/or SDS management
- Advanced knowledge Microsoft Office Suite Programs & Adobe Application
- An average understanding of various science disciplines
- A self-starting, organized, and detail-oriented individual is desired
- Superior communication and computer skills, proficiency with databases and Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook) & Adobe Application
- Strong interpersonal skills
- General knowledge of the Laboratory’s systems and procedures
- Advanced knowledge of PeopleSoft & Data Warehouse
- Entry level EHS experience
- Ability to wear a respirator and lift 25 pounds