National Health Corps (NHC) Chicago AmeriCorps Member
The mission of National Health Corps (NHC) is to foster healthy communities by connecting those who need it most with health and wellness education, benefits, and services, while developing tomorrow’s compassionate health leaders. National Health Corps Chicago, a program of NHC, is administered by Health Federation of Philadelphia (HFP) and implemented by Public Health Institute of Metropolitan Chicago (PHIMC).
· $16,000 living stipend (gross); distributed in even, taxable payments twice a month
· $6,000+ education award upon successful completion of program
· Eligibility for health insurance coverage, child care allowance (if applicable), and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
· Enrollment in the AmeriCorps Member Assistance Program (MAP) for accessible, free mental health services
· Loan forbearance on qualified student loans
Each NHC Chicago member is placed at a host site where they fulfill most of their service hours at an average of 40 hours per week, mostly during normal business hours. Host sites include federally qualified health centers, community-based organizations, school-based health centers, and other non-profit organizations. Throughout their service term, members also plan and participate in group service projects and national service days in collaboration with other volunteer organizations.
Become a Member:
We are seeking a full-time NHC Chicago members to serve an average of 40 hours per week. NHC Chicago members serve 1700 hours during a 46-week service term.
Member positions are adapting to pandemic needs and stay at home orders. In-person and remote activities may be available throughout the duration of COVID-19.
Members provide services including but not limited to:
· Increasing physical activity and improving nutrition with the purpose of reducing obesity and/or chronic conditions linked to obesity
· Increasing older adults’ ability to remain in their homes with the same or improved quality of life
· Reducing and/or preventing prescription drug and opioid overuse.
· Participating in COVID-19 vaccine distribution, case investigation, contact tracing, and client education
· Developing and delivering community health intervention workshops
· Distributing fresh produce and providing nutrition education to health center patients
NHC Chicago is committed to fostering members’ personal and professional development and commitment to service through trainings and team building.
To apply for NHC Chicago, please complete an application by clicking the "Apply Externally" button.
Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
For any other information, please visit National Health Corps or contact NHC Chicago at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To see the position descriptions of all available positions please visit here.
- Diabetes Care Coordinator
- Special Populations Community, Client, and Partner Liaison
- Community Health Coordinator
- After School Coordinator
- COVID Resource Specialist
- Health Educator
- Substance Use Prevention Educator
- Children and Families Health Advocate
About Public Health Institute of Metropolitan Chicago:
The Public Health Institute of Metropolitan Chicago (PHIMC) expands the capacity of public health and health care systems in Illinois to promote health equity and expand access to care. Through program implementation, organizational development, and fiscal management, PHIMC leads efforts to strengthen the public health infrastructure in Illinois. PHIMC tackles critical health challenges in partnership with public health departments and other government agencies, community-based organizations and advocacy groups, academic and grant-making institutions, and health care providers and associations.