Senior Specialist, Manufacturing Automation
The Equipment Development & Maintenance (EDM) group within the Chemical Engineering Research & Development (CERD) Department is seeking someone highly motivated to work in a fast-paced job that provides a high level of technical and project management accountability. The Senior Specialist – Manufacturing Automation position will report directly to the Automation Lead and will be a member of the EDM Team. EDM is the group that develops new technologies/capabilities, executes of capital and non-capital improvement projects, and the optimization and reliability of equipment, facility and automation system assets spanning production, utility systems and associated infrastructure.
Responsibilities of the Senior Specialist – Manufacturing Automation include:
- Direct Support of the operations and automation in the existing Small-Scale Organics (SSO) Drug Substance API Pilot Plant
The SSO uses an Emerson DeltaV Distributed Control System. The SSO is a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) manufacturing facility. The pilot plant’s mission is to serve as an internal node for small molecule drug substance clinical manufacture, first pilot of commercial small molecule processes, enabling internal knowledge of scaling-up manufacturing GMP steps, demonstration of new manufacturing technology/processes and seamless tech transfer to commercial sites.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Manages multiple automation improvement projects (capital/non-capital) supporting the Pilot Plant, interfacing and collaborating with plant personnel and various site functions (IT/Safety/Environmental/Security/Fire Dept.) including business areas.
- Effectively/efficiently develops and deploys software/hardware upgrades in support of business objectives, including operational efficiencies, energy savings initiatives, and improved reliability, operability and maintainability.
- Committed to Automation system optimization; identifies, prioritizes and proposes opportunities for continuous improvement
- Supervises, schedules and coordinates activities of contract automation engineers and outside contractors/vendors
- Skillfully and compliantly manages automation change controls, SDLC/CSV/System Administration
- Authors SOPs/Guidelines for Automation systems in a regulated industry.
- Develops and implements maintenance strategies for automation systems.
- Maintains and monitors GMP utility systems in the pilot plant following GMP documentation protocols
- Additional Supported Areas
- BS in Automation, Engineering, Science, Computer-Programming or related area
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ in a GMP Automation Engineering field.
- Operations, in a GMP Pilot Plant, Manufacturing environment or related facility
- A problem solver/troubleshooter, skilled in Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
- Knowledge of all of the details of automation including wiring, electrical, device selection and integration
- Multi-tasker with ability to manage multiple automation projects
- Candidate should exhibit strong technical writing and oral communications skills and the ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment
- Proficient in email/MS Office Platform and document storage systems
- A high level of innovation, creativity and self-initiative along with ability to plan and organize activities is expected.