Digital Multimedia Journalist-Pensacola FL
Digital Multimedia Journalist
Pensacola FL Bureau
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 200 full power stations (including partner stations) in 116 markets addressing US television households and a growing digital media operation. Nexstar’s platform delivers exceptional local content and network programming to inform and entertain viewers, while providing premium, scalable local advertising opportunities for advertisers and brands across all screens and devices. Nexstar Media Group Inc. is the parent company of Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. & Nexstar Digital LLC. Learn more at www.nexstar.tv.
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
WKRG-TV News 5, a dominant Nexstar CBS television affiliate in Mobile/Pensacola, seeks a Digital Multimedia Journalist to join our news team to cover Pensacola, Florida and the Northwest Florida panhandle.
The Digital Multimedia Journalist is an enterprise reporter with a passion for digging deeper into a story through public records, relationships with agency contacts, and cold-calling potential story sources and subjects. The ideal candidate will identify, research, and investigate story topics and deliver them in a way that resonates with readers and viewers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Author 3-5 stories daily with strong headlines, correct grammar, punctuation, editorial style, and formatting to meet the requirements of each distribution platform
- Ensure that all content produced meets company standards for journalistic integrity, timeliness, and production quality
- Quickly develop expertise and sources in key audience interest areas to regularly pitch & break exclusive, enterprise news stories
- Update and maintain online and social media presence to connect and converse with audience and generate story leads and content
- Present stories on camera for wkrg.com, social media channels, and, occasionally, on-air
- Produce special projects and other duties as assigned
Required & Preferred Capabilities:
- Superior writing skills
- Strong news judgment and high journalistic integrity
- Low-to-zero call/approach reluctance --- ability to confidently engage with viewers, officials, those affected by stories, and others to cultivate story leads and information
- Fluency in English
- Collaborate and communicate clearly, directly, and regularly with news teammates and other team members
- Work well under pressure --- ability to handle breaking news and a fluid news cycle with aplomb and urgency
- Strong, candid knowledge of self & capabilities and display the willingness and ability to take action to learn, improve, and grow
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, or a related or complimentary field of study; or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience --- two-years of professional journalism experience preferred
- Flexibility to work any shift
- Proficiency in AP Style writing and SEO best practices
- Familiarity with WordPress publishing system and ENPS rundown and story management system preferred
- Confident and capable visual journalist who is able to gather compelling still and video images & strong natural sound
- Solid non-linear video editing skills needed --- familiarity with Adobe Premiere video editing software and Adobe Photoshop preferred
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
- Valid driver’s license required for hire. A clean driving record is required and must be maintained to be able to safely & confidently operate company vehicles
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital MMJ must be able to stand, sit, reach, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and work outdoors with various weather conditions and indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment or items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Apply at www.nexstar.tv/careers