Fall 2022 Hybrid Intern, CNN Digital Data and Graphics
WarnerMedia showcases some of the most iconic and cherished entertainment, news and sports brands in the world, but we are much more than that. WarnerMedia is truly where art meets science. Our combination of cutting-edge technology and an unrivaled commitment to groundbreaking storytelling builds a sense of community and meaningful connection that is shaping the future of media. We create rewarding opportunities across our entire family of brands, while championing a spirit of inclusion, innovation, self-development and support. Join WarnerMedia as we think big, live true and make the stories that move the world.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, July 10 at 11:59 PM PST
On the Visual News team, we are committed to expanding our creative, visual, and data-driven journalism. Whether it's breaking news, explanatory context, investigative reporting, or enterprise storytelling, our data and visual journalists help tell the world's most important stories in compelling and incisive ways. You'll bring enthusiasm, creativity, and a love of data-driven storytelling to the CNN Visual News team, with a willingness to learn and adapt to the variety of subject matters that a worldwide news organization has to offer. You'll work with tight deadlines and the daily news cycle along with longer term, in-depth assignments. Every week, interns will help pitch and execute original reporting and stories - from compelling data-driven graphics, maps and interactive projects to experimental and emerging storytelling techniques. The person in this role will collaborate with a team of editors and journalists across the organization.
• Pitch graphics and data/graphics-driven story ideas
• Create news graphics and maps for breaking news events and longer-term projects
• Partner with editors and reporters to brainstorm data/visual coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning. Plan proactively for major events and identify strong visual opportunities
• Contribute to team workflows and documentation (templates, pattern libraries, styles, etc.)
• Working on or recently completed an Associates, BA/BS or BFA/MFA degree in journalism, computational journalism, computer science, data visualization, illustration, graphic design, or relevant field.
• Good communications skills, a willingness to learn and to work in a team setting.
• A strong graphics or visual journalism portfolio that showcases a variety of abilities with a potential for growth.
• You have experience or interest in data analysis, or want to use your computer science background in the service of journalism.
• Candidates should be passionate about news, self-motivated, able to multitask, have a good attitude, and be able to function well in fast paced, high volume environment.
• Cover letter required. Please combine Resume and cover letter into one PDF when submitting.
- Students must be currently enrolled in a college degree program for the full duration of the internship
- Fall 2022 program dates are October 3rd – December 9th; must be available for full program duration
- Part-time schedule (16-24 hours/week) required
- Company-issued computer or secured remote access provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Competitive salary; relocation is not provided
- Hands-on work with passionate, talented team members in your field
- Networking opportunities with industry-leading professionals
- Engaging events including executive speaker sessions, professional development workshops, and more
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands