Cryo-EM Computational Specialist
The Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry and the Beckman Center for Cryo-EM at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine seek a Cyro-EM Computational Specialist with experience in cryo-electron microscopy data processing and Linux systems. The Cryo-EM Computational Specialist will work under the guidance of the Beckman Center Operations Director, Dr. Duncan Sousa.
The Beckman Center houses significant computational resources to support state of the art instrumentation, which includes a Titan Krios equipped with a Selectris energy filter and Falcon 4 detector, a Glacios (installation in early 2022), and an Aquilos II cryo FIB/SEM (to be installed in late 2022). The Department of Biophysics provides a rich intellectual environment, with research in structural biology (cryo-EM, x-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy), single molecule biophysics, and computational biology.
Applicants should upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a brief summary (< 1 page) describing their relevant research experience in cryoEM, and names and contact information for three references. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary and the nature of the appointment will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Questions about the position may be addressed to Prof. James Berger (email@example.com)
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintenance of computer and networking hardware and software (mostly Linux and Windows, and cryo-EM/ET software).
- Setup of future hardware and software as the research technology is upgraded.
- Assisting users with general computer issues (computer crashes, network problems, etc.)
- Providing user support for data collection software, image processing, map improvement, structure analysis, model building, and validation.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Qualified candidates should have a Ph.D. Degree in a relevant field and at least 4 years of hands-on experience in cryo-electron microscopy, including image processing and structure modeling, and strong skills in managing Linux systems.
- PhD with related research may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Master’s Degree in a related science plus 6 years experience in a comparable laboratory performing relevant techniques.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
Special Knowledge, Skill & Abilities:
- The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal communication skills and be able to work effectively with faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows, and students from a variety of scientific and cultural backgrounds.
Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students.
Classified Title: Research Analyst
Working Title: Cyro-EM Computational Specialist
Starting Salary Range: commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 7.5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Biophy Biophys and Biophys Chemistry
Personnel area: School of Medicine