Research Assistant, Clinical Research (Genetics & Epidemiology)
The Research Assistant will support a research project on the relationship between cardiovascular and kidney complications of type 1 diabetes. Responsibilities will consist of: mailing questionnaires and interviewing patients in the Joslin Clinic or on the phone to identify potential study participants, interviewing and examining study participants in the Clinical Research Center (CRC), communicating to participants the essence and implication of involvement in a clinical research study, scheduling myocardial magnetic resonance imaging at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and obtaining blood samples for lab testing and DNA analysis using phlebotomy skills. This role will also process, label, and store blood samples, and record data in electronic databases and hard copy.
- Recruit study participants through mailings, telephone calls, clinic interviews and schedule examination appointments
- Explain to patients the nature of the study and obtain informed consent.
- Interview and examine study participants in the CRC.
- Process and store samples, transporting these in a safe manner
- Schedule myocardial magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH), accompany study participants to MRI exams, and interact with investigator at BWH.
- Store data in appropriate electronic databases and hard copy
- Work independently to complete projects for deadlines, and report progress to project manager on a regular basis
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Undergraduate experience involving human subjects preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills: to interact with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts
- Must be detail oriented, with the ability to prioritize responsibilities – through completion
- Ability to work independently and with others in the lab/study
- Ability to speak on one-to-one basis to interact with study participants to collect study data
- Act at all times with the highest degree of sensitivity, respect, and confidentiality towards research patients and their families as well as the research team and clinical providers.
- Demonstrated understanding of HIPAA requirements with respect to patient confidentiality
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of study participants and study data
Joslin is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Joslin values diversity and inclusion, and we encourage diversity applicants.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is the policy of Joslin to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, marital/parental status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.