Government Affairs Analyst (Program Specialist)
The City Manager’s Office is recruiting for a full-time, unclassified Government Affairs Analyst (Program Specialist). Under minimal supervision from the Manager of Government Affairs, this position will focus on State and federal public policy analysis, writing reports, position letters, and assisting with public policy development. The City Manager’s Office is responsible for the administration of all City government departments, except for elected offices and the semi-autonomous departments. This is a great opportunity for a self-motivated, team player, interested in supporting all aspects of a full-service city and working in a demanding, fast-paced environment that is highly rewarding.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL DEMONSTRATE
The ideal candidate brings to the City Manager’s Office experience in public policy analysis, report writing, letter writing, and a collaborative approach to working on developing county, State and federal public policy and funding opportunities for integrated municipal projects. This candidate desires to be a team player and demonstrates a high degree of intellectual flexibility and range, which will be needed to support the City’s many initiatives. Additionally, this candidate must possess the ability to work on multiple assignments concurrently.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Track State and federal legislation as the proposals move through the legislative process
- Research developing public policy issues and articulate potential changes in local, state and federal law, as they pertain to the City
- Engage with City staff outside the City Manager’s Office to learn how legislation impacts City programs, operations, and services
- Recommend legislative positions to the Manager of Government Affairs
- Prepare articulate analyses, reports, and letters related to legislation impacting the City
- Think critically about opportunities to best position the City for success as changes to local, state, and federal law are considered
- Remain current on newsworthy local, State, and federal issues to inform and build context within various work products
- Develop engaging, informative written and spoken presentations on policy issues
- Collaborate with staff throughout the City on letters of support for grant applications and coordinate letters and applications for State and federal earmark funding opportunities
- Help facilitate the Citywide Grants Coordination Committee, coordinating monthly meetings, developing funding advocacy priorities and strategies across departments, and creating training materials for departments
- Advance the development of City priorities with regional partners and support the City’s representatives on regional boards
- May help manage calendars and schedules for the Government Affairs Office on an as-needed basis
- Monitor and update website content with bill position information, annual State and Federal legislative agendas, and contact information
- Edit communications from the Government Affairs Office, track communications through the approval process and publish letters and memos for public review on the City’s website
- May create and maintain travel reimbursement records and requests for the Government Affairs Office
- May lead other support staff within the Government Affairs Team
- May assist with other related duties
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
Candidates must have experience working on public policy development and possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in Political Science, History, Public Administration, Psychology, or a related field. Work experience in elected office and a graduate-level degree are desirable. Candidates must have extensive experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit an online application, along with three required PDF attachments:
- Cover Letter
- Written Work Sample (five pages max; preferably in the scope of policy interpretation or implementation)
Applications submitted without all three PDF attachments will not be considered. The recruitment closes on June 22, 2022, @ 4:30 pm.