Associate Data Scientist
Southwest will provide a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
An Associate Data Scientist in Southwest Airlines' Business Transformation Department serves as an entry‐level internal consultant, responsible for the application of data, math, and computer science concepts to collect, organize, analyze, summarize, and interpret data; create knowledge; or develop predictive and prescriptive capabilities which drive actionable decisions and generate competitive advantage.
• Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
• May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders.
• Works on moderately complex data science projects, working with business Customers to understand
contextual problems quickly and define, analyze, and deliver solutions based on business objectives
• Applies math, statistics, and/or advanced modeling methods in order to create solutions which can be
utilized in descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, and prescriptive analytics
• Interacts with functional leaders across multiple and concurrent projects
• With some assistance, formulates and communicates solutions and options for moderately complex
• Creates and communicates results from data analysis and models with some assistance from more
experienced Data Scientists
• Supports the ongoing effectiveness of models in use by business Customers
• Supports the ongoing development of the Southwest Airlines data science center and community
Required High School Diploma or GED
Bachelor's Degree in Analytics, Applied Mathematics, Business, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Information Systems, Math, Science, Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Astronomy, or Bioinformatics. A broader range of degrees will be considered if accompanied by an advanced degree or certificate in a related Data Science field of study from an accredited university.
Preferred: Advanced Degree in Analytics, Applied Mathematics, Business, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Information Systems, Math, Science, Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Astronomy, or Bioinformatics.
Required: 2 Years Advanced analytic, data or data science project experience or relevant Master's Degree in lieu of work experience
• Data science certification preferred
• Advanced Analytic Skills
• Must be proficient in both inductive and deductive reasoning and problem solving approaches
• Must be proficient in learning and understanding contextual problems quickly
• Must be proficient in predictive and prescriptive statistical methods and their differences
• Must have the ability to evaluate which analytic method(s) are appropriate for a business problem
and make recommendations for solutions
• Must be proficient in test and control methodologies and experimental design
• Data Engineering and Computer Science Skills
• Must have exposure to acquiring data in both relational and noSQL databases
• Must have experience processing and integrating large amounts of data necessary for analysis and
• Must be proficient in one or more scripting and statistical programming languages
• Must understand, at a broad level, how technology platforms and architectures are applicable to data
• Consulting and communications
• Must be proficient in problem solving, critical thinking, and project management skills
• Must be proficient in driving moderately complex data science projects including participating in
business stakeholder meetings, solution definition and planning, detailed task and deliverable definition
and creation, and project schedule creation
• Must be proficient at developing plans for analytic projects
• Must build trust with all levels of Employees up to and including functional leaders and must have the
ability to properly manage highly sensitive and confidential information
• Must be proficient at communicating in an engaging way with strong verbal and written communication
skills for technical and non‐technical audiences up to and including functional leaders
• Must demonstrate the ability to adjust well to a variety of situations and change
approaches/methodology if necessary in order to effectively and successfully meet objectives
• Must demonstrate a willingness to adapt to new approaches and methodologies prescribed by
• Capacity and independence
• Must be proficient in engaging in and supporting multiple projects simultaneously
• Must be able to perform job duties with minimal supervision
• Must be comfortable with ambiguity and achieve productivity in an unstructured environment through
thoughtful question‐asking, self‐structuring, creative ingenuity, and self‐management
• Must maintain a well‐groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in
• Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration
Reform Act of 1986.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by start date to comply with Executive Order 14042, which requires employees of federal contractors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.