Maintenance Worker II, Parks Grounds (Weekends) - PTS
The City of Santa Clarita has a part-time, temporary, and seasonal (PTS) position available in the Parks division of the Neighborhood Services department. This PTS Maintenance Worker position will assist in the maintenance of the various City parks, trails, and facilities on the weekends.
The schedule for this position will be Saturday and Sunday from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepares and maintains ball diamonds, sports fields, and park grounds
• Performs general landscape and tree maintenance
• Performs basic sprinkler repairs
• Removes weeds and litter from parks and participates in projects as assigned
• Uses hand tools such as shovels, picks, etc.
• Cleans and restocks park restrooms
• Maintains open space and trails; repairs trail fence lines
• Prepares park facilities for special events
• Establishes working relationships with City staff and members of the public
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED equivalent
• A minimum of six months of experience in a maintenance field (for example grounds maintenance, landscape maintenance, tree maintenance, baseball diamond maintenance, etc.) or other related experience
• Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license and safe driving record is required
• Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary will be considered
Knowledge and Abilities
• Basic knowledge of grounds maintenance, landscape installation, tree maintenance, safety inspections, and baseball diamond preparation
• Ability to perform physical labor, bending, and squatting
• Ability to lift, carry, and push tools, equipment, and supplies weighing 50 pounds or more
• Ability to work outdoors and in inclement weather
• Ability to operate various small power tools
• Ability to follow proper safety protocol and pay strict attention to safety at all times
• Basic computer skills and the ability to enter service requests using a mobile device
• Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate professionally and tactfully with City employees and members of the public
• Strong work ethic and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze problems, identify solutions and make sound decisions
An online completed City application form is required to apply for this position. All employment information must be provided on the application. Providing a resume is not a substitute for completing this section of the application. Applications left incomplete, or with a reference to attachments may be rejected. The selection process will include one or more of the following: written exam, technical knowledge assessment, writing skill assessment, and/or oral interviews that may be conducted in person and/or via video conferencing. Applicants that meet minimum qualifications and are selected for interviews will be required to disclose information regarding criminal convictions. If you require special accommodations to participate in the application/selection process, please notify Human Resources for assistance.
All offers of employment with the City of Santa Clarita are made contingent upon receipt of proof of legal right to work in the United States and successful completion of a post-offer pre-employment physical which may include a drug screen and Physical Abilities Test, negative TB test on file, and Department of Justice fingerprinting. Criminal offender information will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The City uses the E-Verify program to electronically confirm the work authorization of newly hired employees.
As a City of Santa Clarita public employee, you may be called upon to work as a Disaster Service Worker (DSW) in the event of an emergency (in accordance with Government Code §§ 3100-3109). Before entering upon the duties of employment, all public employees, except those excluded by law, take and subscribe to an oath or affirmation set forth in the California Constitution, declaring them to be Disaster Service Workers in time of need.
In addition, part-time, temporary, and seasonal (PTS) employees may be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull-Notice Program. This program authorizes the City to receive a driver record report upon enrollment and during employment.
PTS workers are at will. Generally, PTS employees are limited to no more than 999 hours per fiscal year.
For more information and to apply online, please visit www.santa-clarita.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 24, 2022, at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
The City of Santa Clarita is an Equal Opportunity Employer.