Systems Data Analytics Intern
Organization: Doctors Without Borders | Médecins Sans Frontières
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is comprised of four technology teams: Digital Internal Operations, Product & Innovation, Infrastructure & Operations, and Helpdesk., Together they provide the vital products and services so that MSF-USA can achieve its ambitious new Strategic Plan (2022-2025).
The Systems Data Analytics Intern will support the activities of the Data Analyst and Data Engineer within the Systems Team in a rapidly evolving technology environment. They will learn how an IT department runs within a nonprofit and will also have the opportunity, through working in the office/remotely, to learn about MSF’s programs and how it operates in the United States. Furthermore, the Data Analytics intern will learn about the intricacies of data visualization, mapping, pipelines, and dashboards in support of projects tailored to multiple departments within MSF USA.
The Systems Data Analytics Intern will spend their time working with several Systems Department Project Managers to examine information using tools such as Smartsheet and Power Bi and provide application support to enable the team to achieve its daily objectives. This includes updating project management software, creating dashboards to track metrics, utilizing GitHub libraries, and more.
This internship is ideal for anyone interested in learning about data streams, project management/pipelines, the use and support of analytics tools, and working in an agile environment.
The Data Analytics Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks, full training will be given:
- Assist in data cleanup for different project phases
- Investigate and execute bug fixes on existing applications (ex. React, Power Bi, Alteryx)
- Become familiar with simple data pipelines outlined by Data Analyst/Engineer
- Provide support to the Product and Innovation Team in researching plans, data collection, and monitoring reports
- Categorize and analyze quality issues
- Creating detailed documentation outlining design and technical specifications of each solution
- Extremely well-organized with keen attention to detail, able to prioritize work appropriately
- Proficient user of Excel and Word
- Analytical and common-sense approach to completing tasks and resolving issues
- Ability to work independently, with guidance from department members
- Able to maintain awareness of multiple activities in flight while never losing focus on completing the task at hand with care and accuracy
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Familiar with Agile Methodologies
- Familiar with JIRA
- Familiar with GitHub
- Familiar with Power BI
- Familiar with a project management tool such as Smart Sheet
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF
Expected to work in a hybrid remote work environment with the ability to come into the NYC office a minimum of 2 times a week, as this position is located in the NY headquarters office.
Please note that this position is located in the New York City office.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.