The Mortgage Intern will support the Mortgage Department by assisting with administrative tasks and have the opportunity to learn the loan production responsibilities.
You will be responsible for assisting customers in a courteous, professional, confidential, and timely manner.
As a Mortgage intern your main responsibility will be assisting the Mortgage Loan Originators and Mortgage Loan Advisors with communicating with referral partners, current and past members, real estate agents, lenders, and underwriters to nurture relationships and develop new business. Effective communication skills are essential for building relationships that help the Credit Union obtain future business.
Attention to detail is a must while ensuring expectations are exceeded, deadlines are met, and the overall reputation of the loan officer and the Credit Union are prioritized.
You will assist with the completion of real estate loan applications, collect, analyze, and review supporting loan documentation in accordance with loan guidelines, and provide support throughout the loan application process.
This position requires an advanced level of customer service skills plus the ability to manage loan files from beginning to end.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs administrative tasks for the Mortgage Loan Department to include review of member documentation and assist with determining which product(s) meet client's needs. Assist with structuring loans, knowledgeable of the automated underwriting system (AUS), if applicable. Assist Mortgage Loan Officers with completing pre-approval letter for Members. Assist with determining any necessary changes to member goals during home shopping process, which may include assisting with updating Member's loan application, resubmitting through the underwriting process (AUS), and updating pre-approval letter. Maintain regulatory compliance when Disclosing and Re-Disclosing loans with member.
- After origination, assist with managing the daily loan officer’s pipeline and maintain communication with all stakeholders including the member, internal support team, referral partners from pre-approval through closing. Assist with follow up and respond to customer and in-house inquiries on transactions as needed to provide superior customer service. Assist Mortgage Lending Staff with scheduling meetings to discuss outstanding items.
- Possess an understanding of different loan products, such as conventional loans, FHA, VA, adjustable/fixed, commercial loans, etc. Continue personal development and experience working with FNMA, FHLMC, FHLBI, and other refinance and purchase loan programs and mortgage insurance guidelines. Remain familiar with Interra loan product guidelines.
- Assist with social platforms which includes member communication and recognition.
- Assist with verifying all loan package documents for complete accuracy and submit any discrepancies to the loan advisor/ loan originator.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Must comply with all company policies and procedures, applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to, the Bank Secrecy Act, the Patriot Act, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control.
Knowledge and Skills
Basic knowledge of business processes and interpretation. Must be technical savvy and demonstrate a high level of competency using spreadsheets and word processing. Attention to detail and follow-through required. Experience in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Minimum of one year of college coursework specific to Business or related field. Minimum GPA of 3.0. Must be able to obtain a NMLS number upon hire.
Courtesy and tact are essential elements of the job. Work involves personal contact with customers and others inside and outside the organization, generally regarding fairly routine matters for the purposes of giving and obtaining information or instructions, updating or referring. Communications generally require shorter and not in-depth discussions.
Must have and maintain a valid driver's license. Ability to execute on Interra’s vision, mission and deliver on our Core Values.
Is able to bend, sit, and stand in order to perform primarily sedentary work with limited physical exertion and occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs. Must be capable of climbing / descending stairs in an emergency situation. Must be able to operate routine office equipment including computer terminals and keyboards, telephones, copiers, facsimiles, and calculators. Must be able to routinely perform work on computer for an average of 6-8 hours per day, when necessary. Must be able to work extended hours or travel off site whenever required or requested by management. Must be capable of regular, reliable and timely attendance.
Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with minimal noise.
Mental and/or Emotional Requirements
Must be able to perform job functions independently or with limited supervision and work effectively either on own or as part of a team. Must be able to read and carry out various written instructions and follow oral instructions. Must be able to complete basic mathematical calculations, spell accurately, and understand computer basics. Must be able to speak clearly and deliver information in a logical and understandable sequence. Must be capable of dealing calmly and professionally with numerous different personalities from diverse cultures at various levels within and outside of the organization and demonstrate highest levels of customer service and discretion when dealing with the public. Must be able to perform responsibilities with composure under the stress of deadlines / requirements for extreme accuracy and quality and/or fast pace. Must be able to effectively handle multiple, simultaneous, and changing priorities. Must be capable of exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
Nothing in the Position description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This Job description is not a contract and should not be constructed as a guarantee of employment for any period of time.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action
Interra is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to creating a diverse workforce.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or status as a protected veteran among other factors.
Interra Credit Union invites all qualified and interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity, please contact HR@interracu.com and one of our Human Resources Consultants will contact you within 48 hours.