Trail Crew Steward Intern (775763)
Northwest Youth Corps – AmeriCorps 680 Hour
National Park Service
North Cascades National Park
Marblemount, WA 98267
Position Title: Trail Crew Steward Intern – 680 HR
The North Cascades National Park is recruiting one 680 Hour Trail Crew Steward Intern beginning May through September 2022 to provide recreation and natural resource management assistance North Cascades is the largest of the three National Park Service units which comprise the North Cascades National Park Service Complex. Several national wilderness areas and British Columbia parkland adjoin North Cascades. The selected member will work shoulder to shoulder with the Parks professional trails staff to complete annual trail maintenance and construction on portions of a 360-mile trail system, which includes the maintenance of 100 backcountry camps. Member will have an opportunity to meet and learn from a variety of park employees representing almost all park programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Trail Crew Steward will be exposed to a summer full of hard work, challenging physical labor, and the endless beauty of North Cascades National Park. This is a backcountry position requiring the member to hike and camp for up to seven nights at a time for the majority of the term of service (60 – 70 nights total). You will be part of a dedicated trail crew brushing and maintaining backcountry trails, constructing bridges and other trail structures, and assisting the packer with animal caretaking and/or packing duties such as pasture and barn maintenance. Additional opportunities include historical preservation projects, assisting with boat or helicopter operations, and providing Sherpa support for park crews. The member may have opportunities to work on historic preservation projects as well.
Major duties are related to learning and working alongside personnel in recreation and natural resource management at North Cascade National Park.
• 70% of the work will consist of routine annual trail maintenance, opening, tread/drainage, and brushing
• 15% of the work will be '"project work" (i.e. small bridge replacement and short relocations)
• 15% of the work will consist of duties such as pasture and corral maintenance, tool maintenance, and assisting other park divisions.
• Willingness to learn and work as part of a team in an outdoor setting
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Strong work ethic and positive attitude
• Current driver’s license and clean driving record
• Ability to lift and carry 50lbs
• Ability and interest to work and live outdoors in remote settings and inclement weather on uneven ground
• Ability to hike on steep, rugged terrain both on and off trail up to 5-10 miles in a day
• Willingness to submit to a government background survey
• Ability to safely use hand tools
• Attention to detail.
• Physically fit for long days of hard work
• Experience with hand tools and basic carpentry
• Interest in trail work and natural resources.
• Knowledge of parks and recreation management.
• Excited and committed to mentally and physically challenging days in an outdoor setting with others.
Duties are performed out of the North Cascades National Park Service Complex, 7280 Ranger Station Rd. Marblemount, WA 98267. Member must arrange their own transportation to and from the office. Housing is provided.
Terms of Employment:
One AmeriCorps member will complete a term of service (length dependent on commitment of hours), starting May through September 2022. The member must complete a minimum of 680 service hours by the end of their term. The member will receive a 30-minute lunch each day and this lunch break does not count towards AmeriCorps member service hours. Training will not exceed 20% of total member service hours.
• $10,200 living allowance, prorated on a pay period (monthly) basis
• $2417.14 education award upon completion of the 680 hours of service.
• $200 Boot Stipend
The living allowance and education award are taxable. Members are responsible for providing their own food. Service eligibility is contingent upon the results of a criminal background check.
Application Deadline: May 16th 2022
Interviews: Will occur as qualified applications are received.
Type of position: AmeriCorps Internship
Service Dates: May – September 2022
Length of Term: 17 Weeks/680 Hours
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references and completely fill out the application form found at https://nwyouthcorps.workbrightats.com/jobsearch/?job_board_classification=Internships
If you have questions about the position, please reach Northwest Youth Corps Internship Program Coordinator Kate Sanders at firstname.lastname@example.org or William Zimmer at email@example.com
COVID-19 Protocols: We have developed and facilitated industry leading COVID management protocols that are in place to keep our members and staff healthy, and have maintained an excellent safety record. Read our COVID protocols by visiting www.nwyouthcorps.org/m/covid19 All job offers are contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory background check. Northwest Youth Corps recommends that all participants be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
The member will not engage in any prohibited activities as stated in the Member Service Agreement.