Buildings and Grounds Summer Assistant Internship, Part-Time (@ Riveredge Nature Center)
Buildings and Grounds Summer Assistant Internship, Part-Time @ Riveredge Nature Center in Saukville, WI - shared by Jobs That Help as a third party
Job Type Details: Full-time or Part-Time Summer Outdoor Work at Nature Center
Do you love working outdoors? Do you appreciate a job well done? Riveredge Nature Center is looking for motivated and hard-working individuals to help us care for the buildings and grounds of our 402-acre nature sanctuary and environmental education center.
The summer assistant will work with the Buildings and Grounds team to develop and maintain the facilities, grounds, farm, and trails of Riveredge Nature Center.
- Complete trail maintenance including vegetation pruning, mowing, trail building, boardwalk and bridge upkeep and repair
- Grounds maintenance including mowing, trimming, and weeding
- Assist in the planting, care, and harvesting of the organic garden and the farm plantings
- Operate power equipment including but not limited to mowers, utility tractor, skid loader, 4WD utility carts, weed trimmers, battery-powered drill/driver and other power hand tools
- Assist with minor repairs, upkeep, painting, and cleaning of facilities
- Assist with the setup and clean-up of Riveredge special events and rental activities
- Preventative maintenance on buildings, tools, and equipment
- Other duties as assigned
In addition to the responsibilities, the Buildings and Grounds Summer Assistant is expected to meet the following expectations set forth to all staff members of Riveredge Nature Center:
- Meaningfully contribute to the Riveredge staff team. This includes helping with projects, programs, and events that may fall outside of the primary duties or departments of this position description.
- Foster an inclusive and supportive environment through personal actions such as supporting and helping other staff members and volunteers.
- Provide high quality customer service experiences to all guests and volunteers.
- Strive for excellence and innovation.
- College student with completed coursework in natural resources, agriculture, environmental science, facilities management or a related field; applicants with other majors or employment backgrounds are welcome to apply as well
- Self-starter and self-directed with a well-developed ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and safe operating procedures
- Experience with grounds maintenance, gardening, farming, painting, carpentry, or other outdoor work
- Able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and traverse uneven terrain
- Able to perform lifting and bending associated with gardening and trail work
- Able to follow directions and complete tasks in an efficient manner
- Able to work as a member of a team by sharing decision making while personally assuming and also asking for responsibility and accountability
- Good communication skills
- Have a valid driver’s license
Compensation & Working Conditions
The Buildings and Grounds Summer Assistant is a seasonal position paying $10.00-12.00 per hour based on experience. Work hours are 20-40 hours per week starting in May lasting until no later than October. While most hours will take place Monday-Friday, some weekend and evening hours may be available. Most of the work will take place outdoors and will include physical activity and lifting. Inexpensive housing at UW-Milwaukee’s Field Station, just minutes away from Riveredge, may be available.