Position Title: Warehouse Attendant
Department/Office: Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
Hourly Wage: $13.00
Average Hours/Week: up to 28.5 hours per week
Number of Openings: 2
Position Duration: Seasonal or Permanent
With an effort toward sustainability, IUPUI Surplus works to redistribute, recycle, donate, or sell retired university property with the goal to be a minimal-to-zero landfill operation.
The warehouse attendant position offers an opportunity to engage in moving, sorting, organizing, recycling, or disposing of items that arrive at Surplus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· 60% Receiving, moving, organizing, storing, or disposing of items
· 20% Customer service (in-person or via telephone)
· 10% Forklift operation
· 10% General cleanup
Tools and Equipment Used:
Forklift, computer, pallet-jack, floor dolly, sledgehammer, broom, telephone
In accordance with the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success, experience in this position will helps students become acquainted with the following profiles:
· Communicator – Students will learn how to become better communicators by building relationships with peers, fellow students, staff, faculty, and the community. There is an opportunity to enhance their ability to listen, write (email), and speak effectively in this position. Additionally, this position offers a student guidance in the ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information when necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed.
· Innovator – Learn how to create, design, and/or produce enhanced warehouse organizational operations for prospective and current clients.
· Problem Solver – This position will teach students how to make decisions and solve problems, both independently and within a team environment.
· Community Contributor – Students will gain knowledge about a wide-array of other cultures by interacting with fellow students, staff, faculty, and the community; this will include online, in-person, or telephone interactions. This position will provide students with the skills to help communicate with others and how our choices impact our community.
· Written/Oral Skills
· Report to team members
· Reliable transportation
· Ability to perform physical activities
· HS or equivalent diploma
· Warehouse work
· Forklift experience
· Organizational skills
Walking, standing, sitting, lifting/moving items with or without tools
Warehouse containing furniture, electronics, lab equipment, and many more items; also includes an office space.