Position Title: Media Assistant
Department/Office: Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
Hourly Wage: $13.00
Average Hours/Week: up to 28.5 hours per week
Number of Openings: 2
Position Duration: Seasonal to Permanent
With an effort toward sustainability, IUPUI Surplus works to redistribute, recycle, donate, or sell retired university property with the goal to be a minimal-to-zero landfill operation.
The media assistant position offers an opportunity for a current IUPUI student to engage in selecting, staging, photographing, and uploading content from the Surplus inventory to online environments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· 40% Testing, measuring, weighing selected items
· 30% Photographing items
· 20% Editing online template to include item information/test results
· 10% Interacting with customers, in-person and via telephone
Tools and Equipment Used:
Camera, computer, pallet-jack, floor dolly, telephone
In accordance with the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success, experience in this position will helps students become acquainted with the following profiles:
· Communicator – Students will learn how to become better communicators by building relationships with peers, fellow students, staff, faculty, and the community. There is an opportunity to enhance their ability to listen, write, and speak effectively in this position. Additionally, this position offers a student guidance in the ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information when necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed.
· Innovator – Learn how to create and design online sales posts for prospective and current clients.
· Problem Solver – This position will teach students how to make decisions and solve problems, both independently and within a team environment.
· Community Contributor – Students will gain knowledge about a wide-array of other cultures by interacting with fellow students, staff, faculty, and the community; this will include online, in-person, or telephone interactions. This position will provide students with the skills to help communicate with others and how our choices impact our community.
· Developed written/oral skills
· Ability to communicate formally w/management & team members
· Reliable transportation
· High school or equivalent diploma
· Available to work onsite, within a M-F, 8:00 – 3:00 window of time (up to 28.5 hrs/wk)
· Working knowledge of MS Office
· Experience with media management (e.g., uploading photos to website)
· Experience with social media platforms
Lifting, walking, sitting, standing
Warehouse containing furniture, electronics, lab equipment, and many more items; also includes an office space.