General Accounting Internship - Summer 2022
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) is looking for a General Accounting Intern to join the General Accounting department. This is a temporary, casual (8-10 hours a week), non-exempt position, and is eligible for casual benefits.
General Accounting is looking to fill a summer internship from May 2022 – August 2022 to work in the General Accounting department and assist in day-to-day financial accounting duties and financial accounting projects. Our goal is to provide the intern with hands on financial accounting skills that will support the intern’s education and financial accounting growth and development.
Internship will run through the summer of 2022 and will be on-site in Woods Hole. The intern will report directly to the Director of Accounting and will work alongside the General Accounting Team.
- Assist with day-to-day general accounting functions as directed.
- Review of existing processes including journal entry workflow and NST workflow, to provide recommendations for improvements.
- Review of existing processes including prepaid expense workflow, expense recording & allocation & determining new method of same.
- Review of Operating Leases & preparation of master lease file for new lease recording, monthly review, and annual audit preparation.
- Review of iCloud Computing ASC – review of IS capital projects & determination of project qualification under the above. Identification of ongoing review of same.
- Assist in preparation of audit files for annual retirement audit.
Education & Experience
- Current year Sophomore or Junior student studying Finance & Accounting at an accredited higher education institution.
- Intermediate/Advanced Excel Skills.
- ERP system skills – basic level only.
WHOI has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy in effect, where you must register your full vaccination status [vaccination plus booster] in order to begin your employment. The registration process is confidential and entails submitting your official vaccination records, or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
This position is mostly sedentary in nature and involves some repetitive motion such as with data entry. There is also the occasional need for retrieving and replacing files that requires some bending, stooping, pushing and pulling. This position will work alone as well as around and with others.
WHOI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans/M/F. We encourage Veterans and those with Disabilities to apply. Applications are reviewed confidentially. Applicants that require accommodation in the job application process are encouraged to contact us at (508) 289-2253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.