Summer Intern, Understanding Violent Conflict
The Social Science Research Council is seeking an intern for its Understanding Violent Conflict program, focusing on the China and the Global South Project (CGS).
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications. For more information, please visit our website: www.ssrc.org.
The SSRC is seeking an intern for its China and the Global South Project (CGS) at the Understanding Violent Conflict (UVC) program. The intern will also help support relevant projects at the Conflict Prevention and Peace Forum (CPPF). UVC aims to advance academic knowledge in conflict and development studies whilst also providing operationally relevant evidence and policy-oriented research outputs. CGS is the latest initiative under the Understanding Violent Conflict Program in strengthening cross-regional and cross-institutional collaboration and promoting capacity for knowledge generation on China in the Global South. CGS develops research capacity about China in the Global South (Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean), and connects institutions and researchers producing knowledge on China in a global network. CPPF works to strengthen the knowledge base and analytical capacity of the United Nations in conflict prevention and management, peacemaking, and peacebuilding. Each program’s work complements the other’s, as the research findings from the UVC are channeled through CPPF programming to policymakers in the UN system.
The intern will be assigned to work on various aspects of the activities noted above, with a special emphasis on those related to China and/or Asia.
The internship will last approximately 8 weeks. The time commitment is 30 hours per week with at least 4 hours per day based on a mutually agreed schedule. You will work remotely under the direct supervision of the program officer and in close coordination with the program assistants. A monthly stipend of $400 will be provided.
- BA students (recent graduates will also be considered)
- Background in international affairs or related fields with a focus on China studies or the Global South is required
- Mandarin Chinese and/or other foreign language skills a plus
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Zoom, internet search)
- Attention to detail and high degree of professionalism
- Team player with demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and respond flexibly to changing demands
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
The primary responsibilities of the intern will include:
- Providing overall support to the CPPF/UVC Director and Program Officers/Associates/Assistants
- Conducting library, archival, online, and other research support tasks for related projects and proposals (research papers, books, presentations, blogs, etc.)
- Assisting with the administrative and logistical planning of program meetings, take verbatim notes, and provide feedback to the team
- Other duties and additional responsibilities and projects as directed
The Social Science Research Council is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and to cultivating and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. SSRC maintains a policy of non-discrimination with all employees and applicants for employment. All aspects of employment with the Council are made on the basis of competence, skill and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, creed, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin/ancestry, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital or domestic partner status, medical conditions (including pregnancy and/or genetic information) or physical or mental disability, citizenship status, or any other categories prohibited by law.