Product Design Intern
What You’ll Do:
We are seeking an intern to join the Product Design Team.
As a product design intern, you’ll have the opportunity to lead your own project through all steps of the design process from research to handoff! You'll work with our talented and friendly team of designers to brainstorm and incorporate feedback. You'll collaborate with a cross-functional group of engineers, product managers, lesson creators, and data scientists – ultimately solving real problems for our teachers. As a part of our design team, you'll join us in design reviews, skill building sessions, and team bonding (we love making fancy coffee drinks over zoom!). Through this internship, you'll gain experience with all steps of the design process, a deeper understanding of design systems and branding, and you'll become more comfortable sharing and advocating for your design work.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Own your own project (redesigning our lesson reviews experience to increase user retention)
- Execute a full design sprint, with the support of our design team and a product manager. This will involve:
- Defining a specific user (and business) problem, project success metrics, project goals, and key stakeholders
- Deeply investigating the user problem by gathering and interpreting existing data
- Conducting a user research study to inform design decisions
- Synthesizing and sharing research findings to inform other teams of research takeaways
- Wireframing, prototyping, iterating upon, and testing design solutions
- Presenting and receiving feedback on design solutions
- Handing off final web and mobile designs to an engineer
What you can expect from us:
- Mentorship throughout the design process, including regular 1:1 check-in to answer questions, provide feedback, and offer support on design projects
- Weekly design team meetings to share current projects and get “unblocked” on work
- Weekly design review meetings to present in-progress work and receive helpful feedback
- A friendly, talented, and welcoming team to lean on for support
Through this experience, you’ll gain the ability to:
- Gather and interpret existing data surrounding a user problem
- Keep a project scope contained (and focused on one specific user/business problem)
- Scope design feedback, both welcoming critique and defending design decisions when necessary
- Synthesize design feedback and determine next steps throughout the design process
- Facilitate user research calls (setting context and building rapport with teachers, asking open-ended and unbiased questions, and redirecting the conversation if needed)
- Interpret user feedback and apply it when making design decisions
- Know how and when to include stakeholders (such as engineers) in the design process
If the candidate selected is a current student, the offer will be to participate in the Company's Summer Internship Program. The paid internship program is 8 weeks from June 21, 2022 – August 19, 2022. Students must be able to commit to 30 hours/week employment during the internship.
This is a PAID internship.
Who You Are:
- Professional Experience: No professional experience is required. However, experience with all stages of the design process is ideal – including the ability to conduct user research, wireframe, prototype, and present design solutions.
- Knowledge & Skills: Strong analytical/problem solving skills, and a background knowledge in usability testing and user-centered design. We’re also a highly collaborative team, so the ability to share insights and welcome other perspectives is essential!
- Education: Associates, Bachelors, or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Product design bootcamp grads, and undergraduate design students are welcome to apply.
- Technical Skills: Proficiency in Figma (for designing and prototyping), and a basic knowledge of web and mobile design conventions.
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and oral communication as well as strong interpersonal skills. (We’re a remote team, so it’s important to be able to articulate ideas via Slack, our messenger tool, or Zoom.)
- Self-Motivation and Self-Starter: Driven self-starter with the ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged. We’re looking for a team member who’s able to independently manage and prioritize multiple tasks, but also know when to ask for support.
- Learning Orientation: Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations. A sense of curiosity and eagerness to learn is a must!
- Focus on Diversity: Have a demonstrated ability to understand, accept and engage with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Sense of Humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes!
- Legal right to work in the United States
Directions to Apply:
Please apply through our Career Page to be considered. Ensure that you are uploading one document that includes the following: essay, resume, and link to your design portfolio (including your portfolio password if it’s needed for access). The internship committee will review all submissions and contact those whose experience is the best fit for the project. Deadline for submission is 5/7/2022. Any submissions, after the deadline, may not be considered.
The essay should be up to 500 words and answer to the following:
1 – What your career aspirations are.
2 – Why you feel that you are the right fit for this internship project?
3 – What experience you hope to gain from the project or internship.
For more information and to apply, visit our career site at www.discoveryed.com or contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Who We Are:
What makes Discovery Education a GREAT fit for you? We are the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms, and we partner with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to provide teachers with customized solutions that support the success of all learners. When you join the Discovery Education team, you become part of a fast-growing global organization that is empowering educators with the digital tools and professional learning they need to connect students to the real-world.
For candidates interested in taking their next career step in the educational technology space, Discovery Education offers the fast pace and excitement of working for a startup, the support of an established organization, and the opportunity to be on the front lines of innovation in an industry that is always growing and transforming. Team members enjoy a high-energy, purpose-driven work environment — as well as tremendous opportunities to grow, learn and make a difference. We are an organization focused on diversity and inclusivity that provides opportunities to engage with people from variety of backgrounds. If you like working with a curious, collaborative, high-performing team, Discovery Education is the place for you.
Living Our Values:
Discovery Education is a company that lives and breathes its Values. By doing so, we position our organization to continue leading the education technology world.
INNOVATION: We drive a culture of innovation within our organization and with our partners to prepare leaders of tomorrow.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: We commit to continuous improvement by anticipating and adapting to the changing needs of our partners and the educational landscape.
EMPOWERMENT: We empower all learners by providing highly engaging, relevant experiences our partner’s trust.
INTEGRITY: We hold ourselves to the highest-standards and conduct ourselves with integrity in all that we do.
COMMUNITY: We connect and support our global community of learners.
INCLUSIVITY: We strive to build a company with people from diverse backgrounds, so we can better enable all learners to reach their highest potential regardless of race, gender, socio-economic standing, sexual orientation, language, ability, location, or technology.
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.