Middle Grades Teachers 2023-2024
Math or Social Studies or Language Arts or Science Teachers
START DATE: August 1, 2023
HOURS OF WORK: Full-Time; 10 months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
STARTING SALARY: Based on Experience and Qualifications
Plan, implement, monitor, and assess a classroom instructional program in an assigned middle school subject matter.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must hold valid AZ Elementary or Secondary Teaching Certificate and be appropriately certified in the subject area being taught.
CLASS TITLE: TEACHER-MIDDLE SCHOOL
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Plan, implement, monitor, and assess a classroom instructional program in accordance with organizational and Board goals and philosophies, local site goals and specific objectives based on assessment of student needs.
- Teach designated subject matter and other appropriate learning activities utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education; instruct pupils in designated subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the educational organization.
- Establish and maintain standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom; support and assist in maintaining organizational discipline policy and the site discipline plan.
- Distribute, collect and grade instructional materials, homework and tests; determine student grades and forward to appropriate personnel.
- Identify pupil needs and cooperate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, emotional, social and learning problems.
- Participate in curricular and extra-curricular school programs, assessment and development activities, student supervision and control, and staff, parent, department and organizational meetings.
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding goals and objectives of the instructional program, student progress observed, needs or problems and special accomplishments.
- Develop and communicate curricular and instructional plans and objectives to students and parents including course descriptions, performance expectations and other pertinent information to allow parental monitoring; review with the Principal as necessary.
- Assess student progress; communicate student progress to parents at each grading period and in case of unsatisfactory work or other instructiona issues.
- Represent the assigned organization and school or program to local and State groups as assigned maintaining a positive and professional image;
- interact with outside agencies as necessary.
- Provide instruction to students with special needs in accordance with IEP utilizing support services as required; participate in IEP meetings as appropriate.
- Maintain records regarding students in accordance with site and organizational policy; prepare reports regarding students and classroom matters as directed.
- Develop lesson plans in accordance with site and organizational policy; develop specific plans for substitutes as necessary.
- Communicate with personnel and various outside agencies to exchange information and resolve issues or concerns.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a copier, fax machine, computer and assigned software.
- Assure the health and safety of students by following established practices and procedures; maintain learning environment in a safe, orderly and clean manner.
Perform related duties as assigned.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Principles, theories, practices, methods and techniques used in curriculum development and classroom instruction.
- Classroom procedures which promote appropriate student conduct and motivation for student learning.
- Practices, procedures and techniques involved in the development and implementation of lesson plans to meet student needs.
- Child guidance principles and practices.
- Principles of training and providing work direction. Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Applicable sections of the State Education Code and other applicable laws. Research methods and report writing techniques.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Current trends and research concerning the growth and development of children.
- Plan, implement, monitor, and assess a classroom instructional program in an assigned middle school subject matter.
- Adapt plans to meet different learning needs.
- Develop lesson plans in accordance with site and organizational policy.
- Create an instructional program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth.
- Develop and communicate curricular and instructional plans and objectives to students and parents including course descriptions, performance expectations and other pertinent information.
- Develop and grade assignments, determine student course grades and forward to appropriate personnel. Establish effective rapport with pupils.
- Motivate pupils to develop skills and attitudes to retain knowledge of designated subject matter.
- Monitor and control behavior of students in classrooms.
- Plan and organize work.
- Meet schedules and time lines. Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Operate a computer and assigned software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
bachelor's degree, including courses needed to meet credential requirements and student teaching classroom experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid Arizona State Teaching Credential with appropriate subject matter endorsement.
Meet the definition of highly qualified under the Every Student Succeed Act.
ENVIRONMENT: Classroom environment.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to demonstrate activities.
Seeing to read a variety of materials and monitor students.
Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to assist students.
Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
Job performance will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on Evaluation of Professional Staff Personnel.