Guest Relations Assistant
This position is limited to candidates with a Federal Work-Study award. To verify you have a Federal Work-Study award, please go to your One.IU.edu Account -Student Center- Financials- Financial Aid Summary. If you have an award, it will be listed with the rest of your financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships, etc.). You may also email the Office of Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about eligibility.
Near IUPUI Campus- Federal Work-Study eligible students
Hire Achievers Program Summary: This position is offered as a part of the Hire Achievers Program and aims to connect IUPUI undergraduate freshmen and sophomores, with positions on-campus with faculty and staff in a variety of campus areas/programs. Positions start in August and end in May. Students in this program will be expected to participate in a variety of professional development learning modules in an online format throughout the year. Students who complete the entire year of the program and all of the learning modules will receive a certificate of completion and will be able to indicate their Hire Achievers experience on their IUPUI Experiential and Applied Learning Record.
General Purpose/Agency Overview:
At Joy’s House, our work is more than just a job, it’s a mission. A mission to provide care for
adults living with physical and mental challenges while providing respite for caregivers. A mission
to build a world where all individuals with life- altering diagnoses and their families are living
fulfilled lives of knowledge, choice, and comfort.
The position of Guest Relations Assistant provides safety and community for each Joy’s House Guest
(client), implementing a variety of daily activities to enhance and maintain each person’s
cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Creating a welcoming, meaningful, and positive relationships with volunteers, caregivers,
Guests, and other individuals who may meet Joy's House.
• Have fun engaging Guest in physical, cognitive, or social activities throughout the day
while monitoring and ensuring their health and safety and following individual care plans.
• Serving lunch and snacks daily based on dietary restrictions of our Guests and in accordance
with the Marion County Health Department food safety policies and procedures.
• Helping to maintain all necessary records such as Daily Activity Log, Incident Reports, Extra
Clothing Reminder, Sign-in Sheets, Individual Guest Reports, Daily Personal Care records and any
other necessary documentation.
• Learning more about Alzheimer’s disease, other dementias, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s
disease, MRDD, autism, and other challenges that our Guests may face through monthly in-service
• Passion and patience for working with our population of adults.
• Ability to work independently and on a team.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
• Clear and concise verbal and written skills.
• Experience leading group activities.
• Healthcare, nursing, and geriatric coursework and majors preferred, but all majors welcome!
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Gained in this Role:
• Community Contributor – this position will teach students to understand the needs of adults
with life-altering diagnoses, both in their daily lives and within the larger community.
• Problem Solver – students will collaborate with other team members and managerial staff to
provide exceptional care for each individual Guest (client).
• Communicator – this position will focus on building relationships with Guests (clients)
regardless of the Guests’ diagnosis or abilities.
At Joy’s House, we celebrate our values of Individuality and Inclusion.
Employment opportunities at Joy's House are based upon one's qualifications and capabilities to
perform the essential functions of a particular job.
Joy’s House is an equal opportunity employer.