Shelter Advocate - Full-Time, Overnights ONLY
Why Work For Simpson?
Our Mission is to house, support and advocate for people experiencing homelessness. We believe that everybody has the right to safe and affordable housing; we strive to strive to create a collaborative community with the individuals we serve, within Simpson, and with the greater community; and we advocate against the injustices of society that cause homelessness and poverty.
Simpson Housing Services Provides an Excellent Benefits Package to All Full-time Employees, Including:
- Generous PTO and 11 Additional Paid Holidays
- Health Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts and an HSA match
- Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- Up to 12 Weeks Paid Parental Leave
- Free Annual Minnesota State Park Pass or Wellness Stipend
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Dental Coverage and Vision Discount Plan
- An Incredible Culture that Encourages Career Growth and Support!
Wages: $17 per hour + 1 per hour Shift Differential for overnight hours. 1 Position Available.
Full Job Description
This position will provide a hospitable, safe, secure, clean, supportive, and affirming environment for single adult men or women in need of overnight shelter. This position will also provide advocacy, support, direction, resources and referrals to shelter guests, as needed.
This position works on-site at the Overnight Emergency Shelter. The Overnight Emergency Shelter serves 44 single men and 22 single women each night. This is a full-time position that includes evenings, weekdays and weekends. Participant populations may include those with chemical abuse issues, criminal histories (drug charges, prostitution, fraud, etc.), and/or mental health issues. Employee may provide back up for other advocates during periods of absence or during times of increased workloads.
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position that will work overnights (weekdays and weekends).
Shifts are awake overnights. Hours for this position are Saturdays to Wednesdays, Midnight to 8am. Thursdays & Fridays OFF.
Note to Applicants:
To apply for this position, please submit a SHS Employment Application in addition to a Resume.
Facilitate positive on-site shelter operations:
- Know, communicate, and uphold shelter rules.
- Read shelter notes and request updates from both staff and volunteers.
- Coordinate paperwork (as appropriate), greet and screen guests at the opening of the shelter.
- Greet, update, and supervise interns, volunteers and meal groups.
- Provide an awake presence overnight when working.
- Provide a hospitable environment for guests and volunteers.
- Assist with shelter maintenance as needed including: clean bedding, storage, and unused lockers, put away donations, clean refrigerator.
- Be available for questions and information for all shelter guests
- Be aware of needed supplies and retrieve from the appropriate location.
- Complete daily duties of shelter staff as required.
For more information and to apply for this position, please visit Simpson Housing Services' Career page.
All applications are accepted through our website ONLY. Do not email, fax or mail application materials directly to any of our staff or to our offices. This will result in your application not be considered for the position.