Title of role: Tax Analyst
Background & Purpose of the Job
The Tax Analyst will report to the US Tax Attorney within the Unilever North America Tax Organization (“NATO”). The Tax Analyst will primarily support the North America M&A / Tax Planning Team (composed of three individuals) with support also regularly provided to the State Tax Manager / Indirect Tax Manager and to the broader NATO function on an ad hoc basis. The Tax Analyst should have a basic understanding of Tax and financial accounting principles, with an understanding of US tax concepts a strong plus. The Tax Analyst will support the North America M&A / Tax Planning Team with tax aspects of a significant M&A agenda through the full life cycle of the M&A process (i.e., pre-due diligence through post-close integration).
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
Core responsibilities include the following:
- Approximately 40% of the applicant’s time will be dedicated to supporting tax aspects of M&A / integration, including the following:
- Assisting the North America M&A / Tax Planning Team with coordinating ordinary course pre-due diligence / due diligence activities (e.g., in the case of a buy-side transaction, regularly providing updates on the status of / relevant new files uploaded to the virtual data room (VDR); liaising with external service providers; in the case of a sell-side transaction, ensuring the VDR is timely populated in parallel with the broader bid process / other functions; etc.).
- For any transformational / global M&A, serving as the key administrative resource for the North America M&A / Tax Planning Team and the Global Tax Team.
- Post-M&A deal closing, supporting the US Tax Attorney to document and manage the current status of tax integration workstreams (including collaborating with other functions / the acquired Target entity / external service providers).
- Responsible for supporting the US Tax Attorney to ensure that all intercompany agreements related to business model changes / updates (e.g., new TM license agreements, supply agreements, services agreements, etc., are timely executed.).
- Coordinating with the Tax / Corp Sec / Treasury functions as part of the new legal entity creation process.
- Coordinating the data collection for the semi-annual Financial Flexibility (“Finflex”) meeting.
- Assisting the North America M&A / Tax Planning Team with general / ad hoc business partnering support, as needed.
- Approximately 30% of the applicant’s time will be dedicated to state income tax support, including the following:
- Review draft input data collated / prepared by the Unilever Operations (“UniOps”) team and to be reported on state income tax returns.
- Review draft state income tax returns prepared by external service providers (i.e., with focus on a year-over-year tax return comparison).
- Review state income tax notices / communications from state tax authorities and work with the State Tax Manager to resolve any deficiencies.
- Support the State Tax Manager in order to gather audit support files / data.
- Provide state tax M&A support to the State Tax Manager (e.g., reviewing / commenting on nexus studies prepared by Target business).
- Optimising existing tax technology / processes and assisting the State Tax Manager to implement improved ways of working.
- Approximately 30% of the applicant’s time will be dedicated to indirect tax support, including the following:
- Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager with new sales and use tax registrations, incl. e.g., voluntary disclosure agreements (“VDAs”).
- Providing the Indirect Tax Manager with audit support, incl. gathering audit documentation.
- Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager with analysing / responding to Information Document Requests (“IDR”) from auditors.
- Familiarity with tax technology / process improvements (e.g., Avalara, SAP, etc.) is a plus.
- A portion of the applicant’s time may be dedicated to general NATO support, as needed.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- Specialization in Tax with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or a related field.
- Strong analytical and communication skills / ability.
- Ability to work well / collaborate within a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, etc. (knowledge of other data platforms, e.g., Power BI, SAP, etc., a plus).
- 1+ years of Tax experience with Big 4 or large multinational preferred.