Biology Print and Media Editorial Internship, Summer 2022
Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For almost a century, Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship
W. W. Norton is looking for interns to participate in our twelve-week internship program. Our internship program provides participants with an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in publishing that includes brown bag lunch sessions and networking within the intern class. Your work if you become a Norton intern with the biology team may include the following:
· Art and manuscript preparation, consisting of reformatting documents and preparing text files to be sent into production (e.g. Microbiology: An Evolving Science)
· Facilitation of review programs, including the selection of reviewers from a list of experts, creation of surveys that help us understand how the book could improve, and management of survey response files once they come in (e.g. The Biology of Cancer)
· Creation and analysis of adoption reports from an internal database, which help our team understand the place our books hold within their respective markets (e.g. Essential Concepts in Microbiology)
· Updating and organizing art logs across editions to aid editorial and permissions teams in keeping clear and consistent records of the images we publish (e.g. Evolution)
· Sit in on meetings between various members of the biology team and other Norton employees to gain a broader perspective of our books and the mechanics of publishing
Why you’ll be a great fit
We are excited to add interns who bring diverse perspectives to Norton. The ideal candidate is curious, hardworking, and eager to learn more about the different facets of publishing. Here are some skills and qualities we look for in candidates:
· You are a college junior, senior, or recent graduate.
· You are eager to improve your verbal and written communication skills.
· You enjoy collaborating and working in a group to solve challenges.
· You have a passion for learning and ideas.
· You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
· While a biology or science background is not strictly necessary for this internship, applicants should not be intimidated to work on texts above their classroom level
· Interns are paid $15 per hour and work a maximum of 20 hours weekly.
· Internship period is twelve weeks from 6/6/2022 through 8/26/2022.
· Our workday is 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time; specific work hours are flexible to accommodate an intern’s schedule.
· For interns who reside within commuting distance of the office, this internship will be in-person in our Manhattan offices; those in other locations will work remotely.
· Eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
· W. W. Norton & Company ("Norton") strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for any Norton intern who will perform any work in our offices or be physically present at any Norton location or event at any time. Norton makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities, sincerely held religious beliefs, or other conditions protected by applicable law.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to Maggie Stephens (email@example.com) by May 4th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only applicants who apply via the above email address will be considered.