Assistant Program Director
Assistant Program Director
We use CREATIVITY to break the cycle of trauma.
Million Little is a nonprofit organization that empowers and supports the healing process of children and their families who have experienced trauma through the power of creativity. We provide educational, therapeutic and creative programs and services rooted in the strengths-based model. Youth experiencing trauma in the form of incarceration, abuse, neglect, poverty and/or violence are all part of the population that we serve.
The Assistant Program Director is responsible to assist, manage and develop the core programs and administrative functions of the organization. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and also provides support to the day-to-day operations of the organization, including program delivery and management, volunteer recruitment and training and administrative duties. Million Little is a small nonprofit organization; as a result, it is a unique opportunity for all staff members to become part of the core team that actualizes the organization’s mission and goals together. We seek individual(s) with compassion, curiosity and a genuine desire to learn and grow with us to heal and empower children, youth and communities that we serve. We expect each staff member to become a creative problem solver and encourage our staff to take initiative and experiment with new ideas to tackle creative challenges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, orient, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate staff, interns, and volunteers; ensure that staff, interns and volunteers have working knowledge of the policies and procedures of the programs and projects; communicate consistently and effectively with all staff, interns and volunteers
- Facilitate programs at partner sites which includes but are not limited to juvenile detention camps, title 1 schools, and community based social service agencies
- Support and mentor youth both on and off sites
- Develop and maintain a supervisory system that includes preparing monthly work schedules, regular staff meetings, regular one-on-one meetings, a training program, performance documentation, and personnel files
- Participate in the development and implementation of arts education, therapeutic arts, and youth development programming and community arts projects
- Establish new program activities and expand programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans
- Contact partner agencies on a regular basis to accommodate their needs and ensure the quality of our services are maintained at all sites
- Develop reporting systems to meet program and grant needs and compile monthly reports as required
- Create/write compelling stories that will be shared with the public to elevate the voices of our youth
- Develop creative/digital resources as needed for community at large
- Facilitate and participate in staff meetings, planning meetings and other meetings as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experiences:
- The ideal candidate will have education and/or experience in the area of human development, social work, arts education, creative industry, community development, leadership in social services and/or a related field
- Minimum 3 years of field experience in working with the population Million Little serves
- Minimum 3 years of program management in the nonprofit social services sector, including program and performance management
- Cultural competency to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of digital storytelling and the landscape of digital media and art
- Good computer skills and knowledge including word, excel, powerpoint, google workspace and other software systems
- Knowledge in creative softwares such as canva, adobe premiere, photoshop, ableton and/or others, a plus
- Bilingual skills, a plus (English/Spanish fluency preferred)
- Personal values align with the vision and values of Million Little
- Leadership skills as evident by the ability to coordinate and/or oversee the successful completion of projects
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expression, socio-economic backgrounds and religions
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Ability to drive to program sites and the Million Little office. Million Little office is located in the Santa Clarita Valley and the program sites include but are not limited to Santa Clarita, San Fernando Valley, Central, East and South LA
- Must have a valid driver's license and auto insurance
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds, move materials (clay, paints, equipment, etc) on carts around program sites
- Must be flexible working in a fast-paced, non-profit environment and open to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends
If offered position:
- Must obtain and clear a Department of Justice/FBI criminal background check (Live Scan)
- Must provide a proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- May require to provide First Aid/CPR certification from American Red Cross or American Heart Association
- May require certification of negative TB status dated within the past 60 days
Full Time - Exempt Position
Million Little’s benefit package includes paid sick time, vacation and holidays and QSEHRA health benefit. We also offer professional development opportunities that are tailored to individuals’ career growth.
This position is open now.
Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis until the right candidate is found, and interviews will be held as resumes are received. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send both a cover letter and resume (Microsoft Word or PDF) along with a creative portfolio (if available) with the subject line “Assistant Program Director Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Million Little please visit www.MillionLittle.com