Countryman Press Editorial & Marketing Internship, Summer 2022
Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For almost a century, Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship
Countryman Press, an imprint of W. W. Norton, is looking for an intern to participate in our twelve-week internship program who is interested in illustrated books across categories including cooking, health, travel and lifestyle. Our internship program provides participants with an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in publishing that includes brown bag lunch sessions and networking within the intern class. This internship will provide applicants the unique opportunity to explore multiple areas of publishing and how these different departments collaborate. Your work if you become a Norton intern with the Countryman Press team may include the following:
• Reviewing proposals to find potential books that fit in the press’s list
• Proofreading early passes of our titles for accuracy and fine-tuning details
• Organizing manuscripts and selecting art for media-heavy books
• Drafting copy and working with editors to hone writing skills
Publicity & Marketing
· Drafting press releases, galley letters, mailing lists and coordinating marketing mailings
· Coordinating outreach to booksellers, bloggers, influencers and more for a variety of genres
· Assisting in social media management across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pintrest, including asset building for select books
Why you’ll be a great fit
We are excited to add interns who bring diverse perspectives to Norton. The ideal candidate is curious, hardworking, and eager to learn more about the different facets of publishing. Here are some skills and qualities we look for in candidates:
· You are a college junior, senior, or recent graduate.
· You are eager to improve your verbal and written communication skills.
· You are motivated and independent
· You can handle time-sensitive projects and prioritize deadlines
· You have a passion for learning and ideas.
· You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
· Interns are paid $15 per hour and work 20 hours weekly.
· Internship period is three months, from 2/7/2022 through 5/6/2022.
· Our workday is 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time; specific work hours are flexible to accommodate an intern’s schedule.
· For interns who reside within commuting distance of the office, this internship will be in-person in our Manhattan offices once our office reopens; those in other locations will work remotely.
· Eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
· W. W. Norton & Company ("Norton") strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for any Norton intern who will perform any work in our offices or be physically present at any Norton location or event at any time. Norton makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities, sincerely held religious beliefs, or other conditions protected by applicable law.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 4th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only applicants who apply to the above email address will be considered.