Mathematics Assistance Center (MAC) - Statistics Tutor (Fall 2022)
Statistics tutors must be able to tutor SPEA K300, Statistics 30100, and Statistics 35000.
You must have completed Statistics 35000 or higher.
General Information: The Mathematics Assistance Center is a peer-to-peer tutoring center on IUPUI’s campus for selected math, statistics, business, and SPEA classes. This job requires you to tutor a selection of these courses. Every student enrolled in one of these selected classes is assessed a fee for the Mathematics Assistance Center that covers tutoring for the entire semester. We are a no-appointment needed, walk-in only facility with hours 6 days a week, Sunday-Friday.
- Work 10 to 15 hours on the floor. Students will come in and sit down and raise their hand when they have questions.
- For the first 2 semesters, you will have homework to completely (6 assignments per semester).
- Help clean boards and tables, as needed.
- Attend our Spring and Fall training sessions the Saturday before each semester starts.
- Complete online tutor training through Tutorlingo.
- If you are qualified you then will be asked to take an evaluation. Then, based on your evaluation, should it reflect the level of knowledge we require of our tutors, we will email you to set up an interview. During this interview you will complete a short tutoring demonstration as well as answer typical interview questions.
- If your evaluation does not reflect out requirements for an interview, we will move onto other applicants and notify you via email.
- After all applicants have been interviewed you will be notified of your hiring status via email.
Through their work in this position, students will become acquainted with the following profiles.
Communicator – Students will learn how to be better communicators by building relationships with peers and fellow students. Individuals in this position will improve their active listening skills by interacting with and assisting other students in their understanding of mathematics.
Problem Solver – Students will collaborate with peers in improving the clients math skills. They will use active listening as well as previous experience to assist other students in the quest for a better understanding of mathematics.