AECOM is seeking an on-call Archaeological Technician to be based in one of our Cincinnati, OH; Denver, CO; or Minneapolis, MN offices.
This position is expected to begin June 2022. The technician will support fieldwork on projects throughout the Midwest with opportunities for travel throughout the US.
At AECOM, we’re delivering a better world.
We believe infrastructure creates opportunity for everyone. Whether it’s improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
Our clients trust us to bring together the best people, ideas, technical expertise and digital solutions to our work in transportation, buildings, water, the environment and new energy. We’re one global team – 47,000 strong – driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
The Archaeological Technician primarily performs fieldwork under the supervision of a Crew Chief, Field Director and/or Principal Investigator. This is a part-time variable position, meaning work days and times will vary based on project needs. Field projects could be located anywhere in the US, and travel will be required. Candidates will need a Valid Driver's License with a good driving record, and flexibility to travel overnight and out of state for up to 3+ months at a time. Lodging (single occupancy) and per diem will be provided.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Archaeological investigations involving pedestrian survey, the excavation of shovel tests, and test units.
- Identification and documentation of precontact and historical artifacts.
- Documentation using forms, field notes, and photo logs.
- Equipment maintenance and repair on occasion.
This position may consist of extensive manual labor including hiking with a heavy pack, excavation with shovels, and moving heavy dirt. The work will primarily take place outdoors and the technician may encounter variable weather and field conditions.
About AECOM’s Environment Business Line
Join AECOM to be part of an expert global team who is connected through a well-developed, worldwide, internal technical practice network through which you can learn from and brainstorm with the best in the world. AECOM is an industry-leading, world class environmental firm, and we want you to succeed within it. We respect and encourage your own pathway to excellence via our Freedom to Grow initiative.
AECOM is known for our award-winning technical excellence, leading-edge science and innovative project delivery. We provide sustainable solutions for some of the world’s most challenging issues. Our global clients and their projects are diverse and interesting. They span market sectors and geographies and require innovative technical solutions to solve wide-ranging environmental problems within diverse community profiles.
AECOM’s Sustainable Legacies program describes our approach to the environment, social equity and governance (ESG.) We embed sustainability throughout our business and help clients embed sustainable practices into their work. We help clients reduce their impact on the environment, achieve compliance and reduce risks.
- High School Diploma.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Due to the nature of the work performed, US citizenship is required.
- BA or BS in Anthropology or a related field or a minimum of 1 year of experience in archaeological fieldwork and analysis or demonstrated equivalent combination of education, skills, knowledge, abilities and experience.
- The ability to communicate clearly and work well with others.
- GPS data collection, total station use, digital field data collection.
- MS Office, MS Access.
- Successful completion of an archaeological field school.
- Computer proficiency.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with archaeological techniques to include the excavation of shovel test pits and test units for all phases of archaeological investigations. The candidate must be prepared for field, lab, and office tasks.
- Offered rate of compensation will be based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. The hourly range for this position is $16.04 - $28.06.
- AECOM is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our employees. Depending on your employment status, AECOM benefits may include medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D and disability benefits, paid time off, leaves of absence, retirement benefits, voluntary benefits, perks, wellness and global well-being, and global EAP, Business Travel and Service Awards programs.