WonderCamp Safety and Recreation Coordinator
POSITION: WonderCamp Safety and Recreation Coordinator
POSITION PURPOSE: WonderCamp’s purpose is to introduce children (grades K-8) to the process of scientific inquiry in a fun, relaxed setting. The person in this position will be involved in all aspects of camp and be primarily responsible for ensuring adherence to WonderLab’s COVID-19 protocol and policies. WonderCamp is held at Hilltop Garden and Nature Center, the Goat Conspiracy farm, Indiana University Research and Training Preserve, Kent Farm, T.C. Steele State Historic Site and University Elementary School. The person in this position will work at all camp locations.
REPORTS TO: WonderCamp Director
STATUS: Temporary, Part- to Full-Time (approximately 300 - 500 total hours) (Fair Labor Standards Act category: "non-exempt")
PAY RATE: $13 per hour
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: May 10, 2022 through July 29, 2022
BENEFITS: WonderLab membership at dual or basic family level; 20% discount in the Gift Store
● Ensure adherence to WonderLab’s COVID-19 Preparedness Plan and the WonderCamp COVID-19 Plan.
● Set up indoor recess if needed.
● Update the WonderCamp Safety and Emergency Action Plan, as needed.
● Plan and implement recycling and composting systems and incorporate “teachable moments.”
● Maintain a safe environment, resolve conflicts and encourage positive interactions among campers and high school interns.
● Organize, pack and deliver materials and supplies for camps.
● Assist in setting up, preparing, and organizing materials at the camp locations.
● Serve as teacher support person during camp.
● Help supervise, mentor and evaluate high school interns at assigned camp locations.
● Oversee lunch and playground activities and ensure campers and interns know what is expected of them during lunch and recess.
● Assist camp teachers with activities during camp sessions, as needed.
● Supervise outdoor activities of campers on the playground and nature area, as needed.
● Assist in weekly camp change outs and Friday tear down.
● Communicate closely with the WonderCamp High School Intern Coordinator to track and document performance and report on their interactions with campers, teachers and staff.
● Comply with all administrative policies and procedures described in the WonderLab Employee Handbook, WonderLab’s COVID-19 Preparedness Plan and the WonderCamp COVID-19 Plan.
● Other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintain close communication with WonderCamp Director, WonderCamp Assistant Director, and WonderCamp High School Intern Coordinator.
External: Maintain positive working relationships with teachers, campers and their caregivers, and high school interns.
● Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
● Excellent communicator.
● Enthusiastic, willing to learn, highly accountable.
● Reliable, with a strong work ethic.
● Comfort/experience working with children, teens, and adults.
● Excellent organizational, oral and written skills.
● Post high school degree program in progress, with science and/or museum studies, tourism, education or related coursework preferred.
● Reliable transportation.
● Physical capability to sit, stand, walk and wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth for extended periods of time.
● Physical capability to comply with WonderLab’s COVID-19 safety procedures and policies, such as wearing a face covering, maintaining and enforcing social distance, interacting with the public in a safe manner, and cleaning surfaces and materials.
● Red Cross certification in CPR and first aid or willingness to become certified.
● Available to work May 10 through July 29. (Exception: there are no camps July 4 - 8.)
● Proof of eligibility to work in the US.
● Contact information for three references and one letter of recommendation.
The WonderLab Job Application Form is available on the WonderLab website at https://wonderlab.org/about-wonderlab/job-opportunities/. The form may be completed and submitted online or mailed to the address below. The application must also include a cover letter and resume. Send recommendation letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the address below.
WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology
WonderCamp Safety and Recreation Search Committee
Attn: Colleen Couper
P.O. Box 996; 308 West 4th Street
Bloomington, IN 47402
Applicants must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Position is open until filled. All employees are subject to a criminal background check. WonderLab galleries, offices and grounds are smoke-free environments.
Questions: Colleen Couper email@example.com 812-337-1337 ext 24
WonderLab is an equal opportunity employer committed to actively seeking, hiring and
amplifying diverse voices in science education.