Controls Engineering Internship - Mobile Robotics / Tesla Bot (Fall 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the Team
The Mobile Robotics team designs, builds, and integrates different types of mobile robots & vehicles that help Tesla move people and parts across and between all Tesla facilities internationally. As a member of Tesla’s controls team, you will design, simulate, and help implement and calibrate control algorithms to achieve various performance objectives with new Tesla products. Your contributions will support thousands of mobile robots and vehicles in real time and across our facilities, including our new Gigafactories in Austin and Berlin.
* Research, design, simulate, specify, implement, debug, and test control and estimation algorithms for various electrical, mechanical, and thermal systems
* Work on using high level controls and modeling analytic tools to inform product development in terms of actuator, sensor, and kinematic design.
* Work collaboratively with responsible electrical, mechanical, and firmware engineers to define sensing requirements, establish control system capabilities, and set targets
* Advance Tesla IP in control systems for new products Requirements
* Experience with controls system development, modeling, and implementation in an embedded environment
* Working towards a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering
* Solid background in linear systems analysis, stability, and controller design
* Experience, understanding, and intuition for the physics of basic electric propulsion, motion control systems, and heat transfer
* Creating dynamic models of electrical, mechanical and thermal systems
* Model development and data analysis in Matlab/Simulink
* Strong communication and preference for working in teams
* Familiarity with control of non-linear systems
* Capability of delivering high-quality code in an embedded environment
* Familiarity with embedded microprocessor design process: compilers, debuggers, IDE
* Experience developing in an RTOS environment