Software - Tools Developer Internship (Fall 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December) or into early Spring 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
Our Software Tools Engineering teams play an integral role in creating solutions for other engineers that need to iterate and innovate at incredibly high speeds. Interns on this team will work on projects that affect multiple lines of business and have the opportunity to collaborate with groups across the company.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Energy Validation: The Energy Validation infrastructure team is cross-functional unit that provides software and hardware platforms to enable our world class Energy products. In this role, you will be responsible for delivering robust, modular and easy to use software tools that enable rapid firmware development and deployment of test systems. Tesla is continuously launching new products at a rapid pace. You will work directly with development teams across the organization to ensure that our new products are best in class.
- Service Engineering: The Service Engineering team develops tools, processes, and informational content that multiplies the efforts of the field support team. They bridge the gap between what happens with our products in the field and how they’re designed in engineering. Interns on this team will work on areas such as creating software tools for diagnostics and technical content editing.
- Vehicle Systems Integration: The Systems Integration Team owns the architecture and design that enables all of Tesla’s vehicle systems to work in unison. Our multidisciplinary team is on the forefront of new vehicle development, and contributes cross functionally to a variety of areas, including hardware, firmware, and more. Intern's projects range from building full stack systems for real time vehicle data streams, manipulation of vehicle data across both the global and prototype fleets and building services to allow Tesla’s engineering organization to develop, validate, and iterate more quickly.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- Proficiency in one or more of the following developer skills: Python, Go, Java, C/C++, Ruby, SQL or other common industry languages.
- Familiarity with database concepts such as MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle
- Nice to have for Integration: Knowledge of stream processing systems (Kafka, RabbitMQ or similar)
- Excellent grasp of fundamental computer science concepts and ability to write well-organized code
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused
- Excellent communication skills, an ability to learn quickly, and a passion for moving fast and building great things
- High standards for code quality, maintainability, and performance