Design Associate for Resilient Building
Caplow|Manzano is hiring a Design Associate for Resilient Building
Caplow|Manzano is a boutique sustainable design & development firm based in Miami. Our current focus is a series of single-family residences that push the envelope of ecological design. Our goal is to build the city of the future, with particular relevance in the urban tropics.
Central features of our work include elevating for sea-level rise, maximizing solar power, targeting net zero energy, and deploying a range of voidless construction systems to manage indoor air quality. Our designs are LEED® platinum and WELL® compatible.
We seek a motivated and creative early-career professional with a background in architecture, interior design, or industrial design to assist our senior design staff.
The position will be balanced between (a) researching and sourcing design elements (eg furniture, fittings, equipment, landscape components, cladding) that meet our advanced goals for sustainability and occupant health, (b) preparing look books, palettes, and design memos, and (c) CAD drafting and rendering of construction details upon request. Other tasks may be assigned as needed. Our team is small and growing, and everyone must remain versatile.
- Research existing and nextgen sustainable materials, fixtures, and techniques;
- Participate in design meetings and accurately track design priorities and limitations;
- Develop interior design floor plans, elevations, sections, details and other drawings upon request for construction;
- Prepare and present multiple options for senior staff and principals to review;
- Assimilate feedback to devise solutions meeting aesthetic, ecological, and budgetary needs;
- Coordinate with engineers, architects, and builders around project implementation;
- Assist in any way necessary for successful project outcomes.
Desired Skill Set
- Background and education in architecture and/or interior design;
- A clear understanding of material constructability and ability to develop specific construction details upon request;
- A passion for ecology and sustainability;
- Strong artistic drafting skills with an emphasis on 3D Modeling and CAD integration;
- Technical competence and a sense of precision;
- Strong communication skills; sense of humor; poise under pressure.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture or interior design with strong GPA (earned or expected);
- Minimum of 1-2 years work experience (may include internships and student jobs)
Commitment & Compensation
Salary 35k-45k based on experience and qualifications. Full-time, in person at Coconut Grove office (covid protocols in place). EOE.
Applicants please send a brief letter of interest, resume, and brief portfolio (or website) to firstname.lastname@example.org.