Development & Communications Intern
Development and Communications Intern Job Description
The Women’s Bakery Overview
The Women’s Bakery (TWB) is a social enterprise that gainfully employs women and provides access to quality breads in East Africa. Our vision is to build a network of women-powered bakeries throughout East Africa. We believe all women are inherently powerful and that when women have access to social and economic opportunity, the world benefits. For us, an empowered woman, by herself, is an outcome worth fighting for. TWB employees are a key aspect of this vision –passionate, driven, and resilient in the process of using business as a tool for social good.
As part of the U.S.-based team, the Development and Communications (DevCom) Intern is primarily responsible for effective fundraising and communications support, in close collaboration with the Development Director.
The DevCom intern will work remotely (virtual). The DevCom intern can expect to work 10-15 hours a week, with flexible scheduling outside of standing weekly check-in and team meeting(s). Pay is $15 an hour.
Roles & Responsibilities
Donor Cultivation, Relationship & Stewardship
- Assist the Development Director with donor stewardship, including: Regular communication, Donor “touches”, Donor recognition, thank you letters and gratitude communications.
- Assist the Development Director with TWB’s CRM database, including: Synthesize/ organize/ update donor salutations, informal names, and addresses updates, donor tracking system, and General CRM management.
- With guidance from the Development Director, draft grant content as needed and/or advised.
- Assist the Development Director in communicating TWB’s major achievements to TWB’s donor base and stakeholders.
Communications & Marketing
- Assist with the planning and roll-out of all social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) content.
- Monitor TWB’s media presence and pursue new opportunities for publicity
Job duties include additional responsibilities as assigned by one’s supervisor or other manager related to the position/department. This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The Company reserves the right at any time with or without notice to alter or change job responsibilities, reassign or transfer job position or assign additional job responsibilities, subject to applicable law.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Interests in women's empowerment, conscious capitalism, and social enterprise
- Experience using MS office suite and google platform
- Interests in creative design skills
- Savvy with social media and technology
- Ability to stay organized, prioritize, and work collaboratively
- Willingness to take initiative
- 2 years or more of university education in business, international development, nonprofit management, or another relevant field
This role offers a unique opportunity to work with a growing dynamic social enterprise team. This is a paid internship that offers:
- An opportunity to pair classroom learning with real international social enterprise experience.
- Participation in community offerings at the Posner Center for International Development.
- Please send your resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com by end of day Friday, January 21, 2022.