NWS: Career Development & Exploration Peer Advisor
JOB TITLE: Peer Advisor
DEPARTMENT: Career Development & Exploration
JOB DURATION: (to be continued until graduation)
FWS AWARD REQUIRED? No, but preference will be given to those with Federal Work Study
The Peer Advisor role is to serve as an ambassador between the Office of Career Development & Exploration (CDE) and the Cleveland State University student body. Peer Advisors are also enthusiastic advocates and brand managers for CDE. Under staff supervision, Peer Advisors will provide excellent customer service to their fellow students, and all CDE’s constituents, including: providing pre-screenings of resumes and cover letters, helping fellow students and employers navigate CDE resources, answer questions about upcoming programs and general questions related to the university, and assisting professional staff with workshops and career related events.
Note: This position is eligible to be part of the On-Campus Internship Program. Students chosen for this position are encouraged to enroll in one of the on-campus internship program courses for each semester they work.
· Assist fellow students with initial resume and cover letter reviews; answer initial questions about job searches, FWS, Handshake, and LinkedIn.
· Provide excellent and timely customer service in-person, by phone, and by e-mail utilizing strong oral and written communication skills.
· Assist professional staff with workshops and presentations
· Offer technical support for students navigating internal job board, Handshake, and the CDE website
· Answer phone calls and email inquiries, including accurately and promptly scheduling counseling appointments
· Maintain ability to “go with the flow”, and perform in a fast-paced environment where multi-tasking is sometimes necessary
· Assist with student mock interview preparation
· Assist with data entry involving sensitive information
· Assist with events hosted by CDE
· Maintain familiarity with the Student Employment handbook
· Assist with office projects as assigned
- • 3.0 GPA (3.5 GPA or higher preferred)
- • Sophomore level or higher
- • Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2010 or later (especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- • Computer literacy and proficiency in internet browsers for online scheduling
- • Customer service experience
- • Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- • Grammar, writing skills, basic understanding of what makes a resume effective and appealing
- • Attention to detail
- • Good organizational skills
- • Independent research skills
- • Time management skills
- • Ability to maintain confidentiality
- • Project management
- • Adaptable in high pressure, competitive, and multiple-task environments
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Peer Advisors will learn how to work and excel in a professional, fast-paced environment. Students will learn how to enhance their personal, professional, and presentation skills through direct contact with all of CDE’s constituencies. Peer Advisors will learn proper administrative skills and how to use office technology. They will explore career opportunities from an insider’s perspective, and have the chance to be mentored by a CSU professional staff.
DAYS/TIMES NEEDED: 10-20 hours per week.
HOW MANY STUDENTS
DO YOU EXPECT TO HIRE? 2-4
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Resume, cover letter, transcript, Fall 2022 class schedule