Landscape Architect Intern
SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of over 1,200 experts across 15 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces. We are deeply committed to our promise to Design a Better Future - for our clients, communities and employees. Are you ready to help us get there?
The SmithGroup Summer Internship Program is dedicated to the advancement of young professionals in the fields of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, and Interior Design. As an intern at SmithGroup, you will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with a wide-range of professionals.
Selected students will spend approximately 12 weeks over the summer working as an intern in our San Francisco, Ann Arbor or Madison office. Students will be exposed to both the creative and business environments. Assignments will vary and include project research, site visits, computer production, design reviews, and assisting in marketing efforts.
Working with us, you will:
- Assists with the full range of landscape architectural services on small to medium sized projects.
- Help evaluate, select, and approve materials and products.
- Create and develop planning and design concepts for projects.
An ideal candidate:
- Demonstrates effectiveness in working in a team setting, communicating with others, customer satisfaction, and technical competence.
- Contributes proactively to the project team.
- Has strong graphic and verbal communication skills.
- Possesses the ability to understand and communicate with professionals of other disciplines.
- Is proficient in current design software including Civil 3D, SketchUp - VRay, GIS, Adobe Suite, Lumion as well as Microsoft Office.
- Takes an active role in a student organization/association.
- Six semesters of coursework toward Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture and 0 – 3 years of related experience (such as summer, co-op or intern work in the AE field) required.
SmithGroup’s intern program provides students with the opportunity to apply both classroom and past experience learning to real world application. Interns will participate in hands-on project work, “Lunch & Learn” sessions, office activities, and mentor pairing.
Please include a resume and portfolio that demonstrates your design strength.
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
SmithGroup is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or arrest/conviction records.