Elementary Education, Early Childhood, or Other Education Majors given priority consideration.
The Center for Young Children is seeking a part-time Student Classroom Assistant to work with children ages 6 weeks to 5 years in our center. We employ nearly one hundred part-time staff to assist in our 14 classrooms. Opportunities to advance within the Center are available for veteran staff members who demonstrate exemplary performance and can be negotiated after an extended tenure with the center. Shifts for student workers are flexible and can be built around academic schedules.
Our ideal candidate will :
- -Have either formal or informal training working with children (ie babysitting, volunteering in a church daycare, etc.)
- -Be able to work during some or all semester breaks such as winter break, spring break, and summer break (exceptions permitted on case-by-case consideration)
- -Be interested in learning the ins and outs of working with children of different ages in a way that will further their career (i.e. Education, Pediatrics, Accounting for a school district, etc.)
- -Have the ability to relate well to young children;
- -Show sensitivity to children's individual needs;
- -Demonstrate evidence of sufficient emotional and social maturity and stability to function responsibly in a crisis or stressful situation;
- -Demonstrate an "all hands on deck" spirit;
- - Commit to between 10-29 hours a week on any given term.
A background check and drug test will be required if hired.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- -Actively supervise, assist and engage with children during indoor and outdoor activities;
- -Communicate openly and positively with children at their level;
- -Collaborate with a team part-time workers and classroom teachers to ensure State and Center learning and safety requirements are met/exceeded at all times;
- -Assist with serving daily meals, sanitizing classrooms, bathroom hygiene routines, and other additional duties as assigned.
Principals of Undergraduate Learning include:
Community Contributor- working with families of faculty, staff, and student of IUPUI building relationships
Problem Solver- working directly with young children to help them learn, engage and grow as they explore
Communicator- active communication and building relationships between professional staff, children under the age of 5, and the families that we serve
The IUPUI Center for Young Children (CYC), located on campus in downtown Indianapolis, provides childcare and early childhood education for the University and Indianapolis communities. We believe children learn through play, hands-on activities, experiences and interaction with their environment. At CYC, we provide a setting in which children can wonder, solve, learn and grow and we strive to amplify the potential of all children within our care through the guidance and encouragement of experienced and professional teachers. The overall objective of our curriculum design is to promote independence, self-esteem, confidence, and critical thinking skills providing the foundations for continued intellectual and academic growth.
Applications submitted through this link will be given priority consideration: https://childcare.iupui.edu/student-employment/index.html