Sports Event Timer
Position Summary: The Sport Event Timer is responsible for operating the timing equipment to accurately record the results of the swimmers and divers. The Timer needs to have good public relation skills to communicate with athletes, coaches, and officials.
· Willingness to work long hours
· Mostly weekends and some weekdays
· Show great accuracy and attention to details while operating the timing equipment
· An interest in swimming and diving events
· Ability to use critical thinking skills
· Ability to work independently and with groups
· Timing swimming and diving events with 40-1200 athletes
· Operating the timing equipment quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
· Working with meet directors and officiating crews to ensure a successful event
· Perform other duties as assigned by supervising staff relevant to the operations of the IU Natatorium
In accordance with the IUPUI Profiles of Learning for Undergraduate Success, experience in this position will help students become acquainted with the following profiles
* Communicator — The ability to listen, write, and speak effectively. The ability to assess a situation, seek multiple perspectives, gather more information if necessary, and identify key issues that need to be addressed.
* Problem Solver —The ability to manage tasks/assignments, accomplish priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and work assignments. The ability to find/create solutions to problems using creativity, reasoning, past experiences, and available information and resources.
* Community contributor — The ability to demonstrate a sensitivity and awareness to other people and cultures. The ability to relate to co-workers. The ability to maintain a productive climate and confidently motivate, mobilize, or coach other employees/students.