Environmental Advocate - Paid Internship
As an advocacy intern at Clean Water Action, you will be working with our organizing team. Our grassroots organizing team speaks to Michigan residents every day about local issues, informing and educating the public, building support and channeling that support into action. Over the past 50 years, we have worked on a wide variety of issues connected to water quality, water access and environmental justice. Our recent victories include passing a drinking water standard for PFAs in Michigan, putting a moratorium in place on water shut-offs during the pandemic, and funding lead pipe replacement across the state.
Right now, we are working to pass a strong polluter pay law. Michigan has no shortage of water quality issues, and currently the funding for clean up of contaminated sites comes from taxpayer dollars, rather than the companies responsible. We are working to pass a law that holds polluting companies accountable, and makes sure they pay their fair share for cleanup.
Responsibilities of internships include:
- Identifying community members who will work with us to hold politicians accountable for their votes on environmental and health related issues
- Ensuring, by grassroots organizing and fundraising, that communities are made aware of these issues and given the tools to participate in the solutions
- Aiding concerned community members in directly contacting their lawmakers
- Participating in press conferences, lobby days, virtual town halls, and other events
We look for candidates who have strong oral and written communication skills, and who possess good attention to detail. Candidates must possess cultural competence and a commitment to racial justice and equity, and should have an interest in non-profit work, policy, or politics. Multilingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
These are in person positions. Employees are expected to be masked at all times, and we clean and sanitize the office and our vehicles multiple times per day. We provide masks and sanitizer to all staff. Full vaccination is required.
From this opportunity, you will receive training on environmental issues including regular seminars, training in the legislative process and the political arena, and you will develop strong communication and organizational skills. You will be working as part of a highly motivated and dedicated team who are interested in your personal development. There are also opportunities for future permanent positions and career development, along with opportunities for travel to national conferences, and to other offices across the country.
For this internship, we are seeking students to work with us beginning in January of 2023. We are also beginning interviews for students interested in working in the summer of 2023. Hours are from 2pm to 10:30pm in either East Lansing or Ann Arbor. We are looking for students who can work these hours at least 3 days/week, Mon through Fri. Pay is $120 - 140/day. This internship could potentially be used for class credit as well, depending on the requirements of the school or program.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, terminations, pay, and the work environment.
* Unfortunately, we do not provide any housing assistance. We welcome applicants from around the country, but please only apply if you have a specific plans to be located in Ann Arbor or East Lansing, MI. If you don't already have plans to be in Michigan please consider applying for one of our positions listed in a region that is closer to your home or school base.
* Clean Water Action adheres to all the principles of professional practice set forth by the National Association of Colleges and Employers. This is a paid internship. In all locations we operate, Clean Water Action complies with all FLSA requirements and applicable state labor requirements.