Renewal Product Development Engineering Intern - Summer 2022
With fifty years of consecutive growth, Medline has more than 25,000 employees worldwide and business in more than 90 countries. This position is based out of our reprocessing manufacturing site in Redmond, OR. To maintain this enviable position and continue our growth, we are looking for new talent, like you!
Located in beautiful Central Oregon, Medline Renewal is a division on Medline Industries, LP. With 250 employees, Renewal has national accounts that collect clinically used surgical instruments from across the country. We reprocess the collected devices to new condition under FDA approved processes and returns them into the distribution stream. This saves our customers money, reduces the cost of healthcare, and reduces the burden on landfills. Watch this quick video to learn more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdpSjd1fYs&feature=youtu.be
Engineering Interns will work directly with engineers and focus on projects assigned from upper management. The scope of work could include new business implementation, process improvements, product design, process validations, and other assigned tasks as needed. Some assignments will be individual while others will be group-oriented, and project lengths will vary from small daily activities to large-scale projects spanning the duration of the internship.
Examples of possible projects include:
- Test method and protocol development for functional device validation
- Exposure to IQ/OQ/PQ activities for processing equipment
- Fixture and equipment design and fabrication
- Process improvement implementation
- Risk management and analysis activities including FMEA
- Design control activities such as design reviews, labeling,
Successful candidates will need:
- Creative problem solving skills and flexibility to adapt to a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Strong communication skills and ability to work as a reliable team member
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated while having the support of a mentor and team members.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong technical writing abilities to draft protocols, engineering studies, and technical justifications for the FDA
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with outside vendors to produce custom equipment, tools, fixtures
- Ability to design/model/draft and communicate ideas in SolidWorks/Autocad
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment, handling soiled instruments, and executing protocols while running equipment and wearing protective clothing
- Some knowledge about the FDA/510(k) device approval process is preferred and helpful
This intern will be treated as an integral part of the team and given meaningful project work. We are looking for a hard working individual that is curious, teachable, and ready to learn. Our team has a focus on work/life balance with several team members engaging in the rural outdoor lifestyle that Central Oregon has to offer.
- Pursing a bachelor’s degree in biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering or electrical engineering (sophomore or junior standing)
- Previous internship or co-op experience
- Strong and demonstrate communication and problem solving skills
- CAD experience preferred
- Knowledge of FDA/510(k) device approval process is preferred
- Previous experience leading teams or projects
- Unrestricted permanent US work authorization
Please be aware that Medline requires all employees starting in this position to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated by their start date. Medline is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodations to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated for COVID-19 consistent with federal, state, and local law.