Diagnostic Laboratory Technician
Scope: The Diagnostic Laboratory Technician is responsible for establishing a therapeutic relationship with patients and helps clients through the process of family building. This position includes mandatory weekend rotations. This position reports to the laboratory supervisor and laboratory director.
· Follows all laboratory SOPS and OSHA guidelines including universal precautions for bloodborne pathogens.
· Follows proper handling and processing procedures for semen analysis (SA) and intrauterine insemination (IUI) according to WHO guidelines.
· Ensures labeling of vials and tubes with patient's identifying information related to chain of custody documentation.
· Ensures specimens are handled in a timely fashion per standard operating protocols.
· Prepares semen for intrauterine insemination.
· Prepares reports for laboratory results for physicians in accordance with procedures.
· Freezes and stores semen for IUI use.
· Processes cryopreserved donor and patient specimens.
· Ensures proper disposal of all biohazard wastes, including sharps/needles.
· Performs comprehensive semen analysis, including sperm count, motility, progression, morphology, and viability (if indicated).
· Maintains liquid nitrogen tanks.
· Performs all Quality Control procedures, maintenance of yearly CAP testing, maintains patient records.