Student Assistant - ODEI
Location: Boulder, Colorado/Remote.
Schedule: Part Time (10-15h/week).
Applicant Deadline: This position will be posted until Tuesday, December 14, 2021.
Relocation: No relocation is offered for this position.
Work Authorization: UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
Hiring Range: $18.50/h.
Benefits: UCAR's rich package of employee benefits includes medical, dental, vision, education assistance, retirement, and life insurance. UCAR offers a variety of programs designed to assist with work-life balance including flexible work alternatives, paid time off and 14 weeks of paid parental leave. To learn more about our benefits, click here: https://www.ucar.edu/opportunities/careers/benefits
Vaccine Requirements: As required by Executive Order 14042, all Federal Contractor employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. Effective immediately, UCAR requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated prior to entering on duty, subject to such exceptions as required by law.
If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by December 21, 2021 or before appointment or onboarding with UCAR, if after December 21, 2021. UCAR will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of UCAR a legally required exception from this requirement.
Where You Will Work:
UCAR - The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) serves and participates in a collaborative community of researchers and educators who are dedicated to understanding the atmosphere -- the air around us -- and the complex processes that make up the Earth system, from the ocean floor to the Sun’s core. UCAR manages the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) on behalf of the National Science Foundation and the university community. This position is located in the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. Established in 2017, ODEI is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of strategies, programs and initiatives to:
- Increase the diversity of UCAR/NCAR’s workforce at all levels
- Ensure a culture of inclusion where everyone’s ideas and voices are heard and valued;
- Integrate diversity, equity and inclusion into the way we conduct our research and to establish partnerships with institutions and communities who have been historically excluded from science
- Measure progress and integrate DEI into the fabric of our organization.
- Full remote work is available for this position, so we encourage applicants from across the country.
What You Will Do:
UCAR’s Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) is seeking a student assistant to provide professional-level administrative support and general office support for Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion activities. The successful candidate will be joining a team of three other DEI professionals in a supportive environment that prioritizes teamwork, psychological safety, creativity, and staff development under the leadership of the Chief DEI Officer.
This is a part-time remote position of about 10 - 15 hours per week, depending on workload. The work schedule is flexible but the role requires some availability during standard working hours.
The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for a range of administrative tasks, including:
- Calendaring/scheduling of meetings
- Supporting external communication efforts by maintaining mailing lists, coordinating communications, updating websites, etc.
- Assisting with planning and scheduling meetings, workshop, trainings, and presentations
- Serving as an ODEI administrative liaison with other groups across the organization
- Assisting with/coordinating logistics for, onsite and offsite meetings, trainings, special presentations by ODEI staff.
- Planning, organizing, and implementing special projects as needed.
- You may be asked to collaborate with other President’s Office administrative staff on large projects
- You may be asked to assist with other ODEI efforts as needed
What You Need:
Education and Experience:
- Currently enrolled in a secondary school, college, university, or professional school pursuing an undergraduate degree in relevant natural/physical/social sciences or engineering, science communication, data science, science-policy, management disciplines.
- Must be enrolled (or intend to enroll in the next regular session) for credit in an accredited secondary or post-secondary school, college, or in a trade school that has received a Certificate or Approval from the Colorado State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education.
- At least one year of relevant professional or volunteer experience.
- Preference to students from Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs)
- Strong business writing skills both for correspondence and developing/editing/proofing documents.
- Experience working across identities and cultures and maintaining an inclusive and welcoming work environment
- Experience working collaboratively with diverse groups of stakeholders from the public and private sectors.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with a diverse staff to accomplish goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong skills in word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software.
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines.
- Ability to use discretion in handling confidential information
- A cover letter is required.
- Responses to the following two questions are required as part of your initial application. Responses should be no more than one page per question, combined in a single document for a total of no more than 2 pages. Please be kind to our eyes and stick to Times New Roman, Arial, Verdana, or Helvetica, no smaller than 11pt font. Applications that do not include this document will not be considered. You’ll see a place to upload this in the system as you’re applying.
A) ODEI’s role is to create more welcoming and inclusive spaces for
staff, students, and visitors. Please share with us ways in which
you’ve done this in the past, and helped other people feel a sense
of belonging. You can talk about your personal or school/work
environments or a combination of both (up to 1 page).
B) This position requires a high degree of organizational ability,
keeping track of multiple requests, and attention to detail.
Please describe how your past experience has prepared you for this
kind of work (up to 1 page).
- A pre-employment screening will be conducted in conjunction with making an offer, to verify previous employment, education, and references. A criminal background check or a credit check will not be conducted for this position.
- We want to remind you that research shows that women and people of color, in particular, feel that they have to have 100% of the required *and* desired skills and experience before applying for a new job, while white men often apply to jobs where they, on average, meet only 40% of the listed skills and experience. If you meet the minimum requirements listed above and have the passion for the work, we strongly encourage you to apply. We can provide on-the-job training for the rest.
- For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, here is the link to the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategic Plan and to the ODEI landing page.