DEQ is seeking an experienced professional to join its Communications team.
Reporting to the Communications Director, this position will support statewide messaging, and work closely with staff to develop strategic communications materials and tools. The successful candidate will have a strong record of accomplishment in developing messaging for news releases, talking points, social media tools, online content, remarks, presentations, meeting materials, and statements for the news media, and more. This position will act as spokesperson for the agency and respond to requests for information from news media outlets, stakeholders, and the public. On-call duties to respond to news media calls and emergency environmental events are required as needed. As a member of the agency’s statewide social media team, this position will create appropriate content for DEQ’s social media platforms, which include Nextdoor, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram. The successful candidate will also assist with internal communications needs and help promote opportunities for appropriate internal coverage.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will possess:
- Considerable experience researching, writing, and editing materials such as news releases, fact sheets, FAQs, website content, brochures, presentations and speeches, and other printed and electronic materials.
- Experience translating technical language and industry jargon into plain language
- A demonstrated ability in preparing and presenting complex information in written and oral form for multiple audiences.
- A demonstrated ability and experience creating content for different platforms/channels.
- Ability to collaborate with a wide variety of agency staff (including leadership) on a broad range of topics.
- Demonstrated experience in social media content creation.
- A demonstrated ability to create approaches to communicating with varied audiences.
- Graduation from a college or university with major studies in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or related fields, or a combination of education and/or experience indicating knowledge, skills, and abilities, as described above, is preferred.1
Apply online here! The deadline to submit an application will be Wednesday, November 24th at 11:59 p.m.