Transportation Specialist I(Job Id 17718)
Job ID: 17718
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering
Salary: $23.87 - $27.54 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: GJ
Closing Date: 11/24/2021
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
This position works with other staff in developing, monitoring and overseeing the departments certification/accreditation program within the Materials and Surfacing Program. The primary purpose of this position is Building the Summary of Requirements for Tests and Certs (DOT-14) for each contract let. The DOT-14 is a contract specific list of bid items with associated materials requirements, that is provided to the field personnel in charge of a contract. It is provided to the field to notify them of the materials requirements for sampling, testing, and certification, and the frequency at which they are to be obtained. The DOT-14 is built into a computer application called MS&T (Material Sampling & Testing). The DOT-14 is built based on reviewing contract documents such as plans, proposal, addendums and shop drawings to determine specific contract requirements according to applicable specifications and materials manual requirements. When the requirements are determined & loaded into MS&T, the DOT-14 is released for use by the field. Once construction starts on a contract, entries are made in MS&T by the field and submittals are made to the Certification office. The submittals can include documentation regarding materials certification, sampling, and testing and are processed to verify specification compliance, documented in MS&T and notification made to the field of any deviations and/or deficiencies. The DOT-14 is automatically updated to provide current records of sampling, testing & certifications obtained and still needed. This position is responsible for performing all necessary maintenance on the Standard Bid Items list in MS&T which can include adding or deleting materials, loading the applicable requirements and associated specifications for each. This position is responsible for participating in an annual meeting in an effort to coordinate modifications to the departments materials manual which includes making revisions, developing new procedures/processes to expand upon the existing process, incorporating them into the manual, distributing the new manuals to the customers and implementing applicable changes into MS&T. The South Dakota Department of Transportation Materials Manual is a contract document consisting of multiple sections including Required Samples, Tests & Certificates; Minimum Sample & Test Requirements; Soils, Aggregate, Asphalt, Concrete & Miscellaneous Test Procedures and is utilized in building the DOT-14. The materials manual is distributed widely among department personnel, Contactors and Consultants for use on contracts. This position provides technical assistance to field personnel; consultants, contractors and other central office personnel.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- experience in field project administration and Materials Certification & Testing.
- Materials Sampling and Testing Computer Program (preferred);
- Department of Transportation procedures and practices (preferred);
- contents of the Department's Materials Manual (preferred);
- contents of the Department's Testing & Inspection Certification Program Manual (preferred);
- standard specifications for road and bridges (preferred);
- AASHTO and ASTM standards;
- principles and practices of construction materials;
- interpret plan, specifications, and technical reports;
- perform mathematical computations.
- adjust effectively to changing, new, or different situations at work;
- demonstrate self-confidence and takes action when needed;
- attend to all details of assignments and completes work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- treat customers courteously and is responsive to their needs;
- display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of projects and assignments;
- work cooperatively with others and promotes a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals.
- operate a computer and use Microsoft software;
- communicate sufficiently to convey information to the public, contractors, consultants, and local governments.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"