Life Sciences Research Associate - Stem Cell Research
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) supports the nation's second largest research program conducted among the VA Hospitals and has a fantastic and rare opportunity for a Research Associate to join the Rando Laboratory to design, implement, and lead basic and applied research, development and scientific research projects independently and in collaboration with the Principal Investigator, Thomas Rando, M.D., Ph.D., and other research staff.
The Rando laboratory is a part of the Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging and the Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine, as well as the Rehab R&D Center of Excellence at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. The laboratory is associated with the Stanford Center on Longevity. Dr. Thomas Rando, a renowned neurologist and stem cell biologist, has been recently named director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA.
The Research Associate will participate in the development of areas of investigation toward improved methodologies and innovative therapies in rehabilitative and regenerative medicine by combining state-of-the-art stem cell therapeutics with advances in material science. These investigations will generally involve the development of new techniques and identification of methodologies for practical solutions for routine clinical use.
PAVIR is delighted to offer a robust and comprehensive employee benefits package with exceptional offerings such as health, dental and vision insurance, 14 paid holidays, generous vacation and sick pay policies, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE'S MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform advanced biological techniques and procedures using live animals (mice), animal tissue and cells;
- Collaborate with the P.I. on the design and execution of laboratory experiments; Serve as the main contact for experiments;
- Develop and validate experimental protocols;
- Analyze data from experiments;
- Prepare charts for presentations and publication;
- Write papers on projects for publication;
- Perform general lab organization; Guide and train lab technicians.
- Ph.D. in biology, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline is required;
- At least three years of prior research experience in biology, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline required;
- Preferred: Three years of experience working with mice, rats, and writing protocols;
- Advanced knowledge of scientific research methodology;
- Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary;
- Exquisite record keeping and experimental documentation capabilities;
- Strong scientific writing skills and demonstrated capacity to drive first author publications;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens;
- Solid training in general lab skills such as micro-pipeting, PCR analysis, genomic and plasmid DNA preparation, protein measurements, and tissue homogenization;
- Solid training in analytical skills, including routine calculations of dilution factors and solution concentrations as well as using Excel and other programs for data calculation and analysis;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills;
- Ability to work independently and proactively;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to radiation, research animals, wet lab environment, and toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.