AmeriCorps English Early Literacy Tutor
Literacy First is an AmeriCorps tutoring program that focuses on early literacy. Literacy First tutors provide one-to-one tutoring to ensure all children are reading at or above grade level by third grade. We use an explicit, research-based curriculum to address critical reading skills. All training and mentorship will be provided by our supervisors and staff, who are literacy experts. English Tutors serve 36 hours each week, Monday - Friday from 7:30 AM - 2:30 PM.
To view our 30 hours/week or 20 hours/week positions that are available please visit our website: http://www.literacyfirst.org/employment/
This is a great opportunity to:
- Be a part of a national movement toward social justice
- Gain professional development and leadership skills that are applicable to any career
- Network with other non-profit organizations in Austin, TX
- Pursue an alternative teaching certification through Region 13 during your second year of service (optional)
- Serve 1200 hours during 9 months from Sept 1st, 2022, through May 27, 2023
- Provide daily 1-on-1 tutoring to 8-10 K-2nd grade students
- Teach using a research-based curriculum
- Participate in community service projects with local non-profits
- Interest in literacy, education, community service, social justice, or non-profits
- Desire to work with young students ages 5-8
- Ability to work cohesively on a team
- Proficient computer skills, including data entry and email correspondence
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident alien
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Pass a criminal background check
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Three quarter-time AmeriCorps members earn a Segal Education Award of $4,546.50 to pay back student loans or pay for future tuition
- Federal loan forbearance*
- The National Service Trust can pay back interest accrued during the service term*
- Health insurance (Literacy First pays the monthly premium)
- Access to an employee assistance program that includes free short-term counseling, financial/legal services, referrals to resources, etc.
- Join the national AmeriCorps service community and transform lives, including your own!
Want to learn more? Interested in our other positions? Click here to view our website or email us at email@example.com!
Ready to apply? Click here!
*Literacy First is not responsible for the approval of loan forbearance or interest payment. Members must contact their loan provider to see if they qualify for these benefits.