Research Associate - Test Science
Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
Who We Are
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a private, nonprofit corporation headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. IDA’s mission is to answer the most challenging U.S. security and science policy questions with objective analysis leveraging extraordinary scientific, technical, and analytic expertise. IDA operates three Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC’s).
Why Work for IDA?
We are seeking a Research Associate to join the Test Science team within IDA’s largest division, Operational Evaluation Division (OED). The Research Associate will facilitate data-driven decision-making by developing, applying, and disseminating statistical, behavioral, and data science methodologies within IDA and the DoD. The position supports and advises mid- and senior-level civilian and military officials regarding the operational evaluation of military systems. Work involves analyzing the design, execution, and results of operational testing and associated modeling and simulation activities. The Test Science Research Associate will provide independent assessments to OSD’s Director, Operational Test and Evaluation and the Joint AI Center’s Chief of Test, Evaluation, and Assessment.
- Provide quantitative analytic support to the government sponsor and other researchers within OED (e.g., predictive modeling, statistical analysis of human and system performance data)
- Assist in the preparation of documents (e.g., briefings and reports on the design, conduct, and findings of operational tests, graphs that clearly present findings from analyses, meeting materials)
- Develop methods for dealing with the challenges of operational testing and improving data quality (e.g., develop data management and reproducible research best practices and tutorials)
What Will You Need?
We are seeking a highly analytical person who is able to both collaborate on cutting-edge research projects while also conducting independent research that is relevant to OED’s primary task to support the DoD in evaluating how effective, suitable, and survivable military systems are under operationally realistic conditions.
- Candidates must have a Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in data science, statistics, research psychology, human-systems engineering, computer science or related discipline
- Candidates must have experience with statistical programming (R or Python preferred)
- Candidates must demonstrate basic SQL knowledge or an aptitude to learn
- Ability to work within multidisciplinary teams
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Some travel may be required
- Successful completion of a background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
IDA is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a fair recruiting process and working environment free from discrimination. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Click here to learn more about IDA's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.